Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPRIGHT FREEZER DOOR STILL DOES NOT SEAL

I have a garage freezer for 5 years with no problems. One Day door would not
close properly. I replaced the door seal thinking that would fix the
problem. I adjusted and adjusted the top hinge over and over pushing it up
down in and out . I will always have a 1/4 gap somewhere on the handle side
of this freezer. it is almost like the door is warped. The freezer is level
side to side and front to back. there is no ice build up or items that
prevent door from closing. I leave the gap on the bottom and can easily
close it completely with little foot pressure. I am ready to get a new
freezer any suggestions would be helpful.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...l-1138739-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:14:03 GMT, MJ
m wrote:

I have a garage freezer for 5 years with no problems. One Day door would not
close properly. I replaced the door seal thinking that would fix the
problem. I adjusted and adjusted the top hinge over and over pushing it up
down in and out . I will always have a 1/4 gap somewhere on the handle side
of this freezer. it is almost like the door is warped. The freezer is level
side to side and front to back. there is no ice build up or items that
prevent door from closing. I leave the gap on the bottom and can easily
close it completely with little foot pressure. I am ready to get a new
freezer any suggestions would be helpful.

Suggestions? Sure store your food some place else before it goes bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 10:14:09 AM UTC-5, MJ wrote:
I have a garage freezer for 5 years with no problems. One Day door would not
close properly. I replaced the door seal thinking that would fix the
problem. I adjusted and adjusted the top hinge over and over pushing it up
down in and out . I will always have a 1/4 gap somewhere on the handle side
of this freezer. it is almost like the door is warped. The freezer is level
side to side and front to back. there is no ice build up or items that
prevent door from closing. I leave the gap on the bottom and can easily
close it completely with little foot pressure. I am ready to get a new
freezer any suggestions would be helpful.
--

If someone hangs on to the door to support their weight while they bend down to look for something in the freezer or refrigerator, it will pull the hinges out of place. The screws holding the hinges to the cabinet will have to be loosened, realigned then the screws tightened back up. This is dependent on the brand and model you have. You didn't mention either in your post but you can find instructions on YouTube for realigning doors on different brands. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Door Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have a garage freezer for 5 years with no problems. One Day door
would not close properly. I replaced the door seal thinking that
would fix the problem. I adjusted and adjusted the top hinge over
and over pushing it up down in and out . I will always have a 1/4
gap somewhere on the handle side of this freezer. it is almost like
the door is warped. The freezer is level side to side and front to
back. there is no ice build up or items that prevent door from
closing. I leave the gap on the bottom and can easily close it
completely with little foot pressure. I am ready to get a new
freezer any suggestions would be helpful.

Suggestions? Sure store your food some place else before it goes bad.

Run your hand down the outsides of the cabinet. If you feel any bumps, no
matter how slight, the insulation is ****ed. Ice has distorted the build of
the cabinet, thus the door will not close correctly.
I have an ancient freezer in the garage where this happened. It is only used
as extra space at Christmas. I forced the door closed and tied it shut for
11 months. This solved the problem.
11 months without food may not be a good move though :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2017 12:45 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I gotta disagree with you Unc - the OP said he/she had adjusted the
hinges with no improvement . Weight on the door , yes partly . But IMO
what has happened is that the stuff in the door trays - coupled with
leaning on it - has tweaked the door out of plane . That is , it ain't
flat any more . It's also possible that mis-adjusted leveling screws
have tweaked the "box" out of square , pulling the sealing face out of
plane . The door can be checked from outside by taping a 1/2" block to
the face at all 4 corners . Then stretch a pair of threads from corner
to corner - one atop the other , then the other atop the first . If the
two threads are just touching each other both ways , it's flat . You can
do the same with the front edge of the box the see if it's tweaked . I
first saw this test several years ago when a co-worker was making sure a
door frame was in plane . The door can be tweaked back in plane by
putting a block between it and the box where it touches and pushing on
the other corner on the same side of the door . If it's the box adjust
the feet but it may take a while for it to settle .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/17 11:14 AM, MJ wrote:
I have a garage freezer for 5 years with no problems. One Day door
would not
close properly. I replaced the door seal thinking that would fix the
problem. I adjusted and adjusted the top hinge over and over pushing it up
down in and out . I will always have a 1/4 gap somewhere on the handle
side
of this freezer. it is almost like the door is warped. The freezer is
level
side to side and front to back. there is no ice build up or items that
prevent door from closing. I leave the gap on the bottom and can easily
close it completely with little foot pressure. I am ready to get a new
freezer any suggestions would be helpful.

Check that the unit is level. Solid base underneath it, are the foot
adjusters OK?

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have a garage freezer for 5 years with no problems. One Day door would not
close properly. I replaced the door seal thinking that would fix the
problem. I adjusted and adjusted the top hinge over and over pushing it up
down in and out . I will always have a 1/4 gap somewhere on the handle side
of this freezer. it is almost like the door is warped. The freezer is level
side to side and front to back. there is no ice build up or items that
prevent door from closing. I leave the gap on the bottom and can easily
close it completely with little foot pressure. I am ready to get a new
freezer any suggestions would be helpful.

Make and Model?

Some units can have a plastic cam as part of the hinge mechanism and,
if that cam cracks or otherwise breaks, it can cause issues with
proper sealing.

Once again, if you post the make and model, I can look it up for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 2:27:41 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

It must have been a big gal to warp the door? You right about the door itself being warped. I'm just wondering how it could happen. Perhaps the door was slammed shut with something hanging out of the freezer and when the door closed on it, it bent the door. Make and model and pictures of everything would help us figure out the problem. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Warped Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, unless it has riding hinges(angled to allow the
door to ride down and close by itself), you may need
to turn out the feet at the front of the unit. This
will cause the freezer to lean back - about one inch
back at the top is usually enough, though I visited l
an older house where the owner had a two-by-four
neath the front feet in addition to the feet on his
fridge being nearly screwed all the way out!

Turns out(pardon pun) his kitchen floor was down
8 inches in the middle from at the edges near the
walls, and that's in a small 10' by 14' kitchen!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Screw some locking latches on the outside. Force it to close. I did this after my door swung open taking it off a pickup truck.