Toilet Flange too high

Old July 17th 10, 04:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Flange too high

For some reason, the builder put in the toilet flanges in my 5 bathrooms so
that the top of the flange sticks up 3/4" above the tile floor. The toilets
he put in apparently had a deeper inset and did not rock. As I am replacing
the toilets, I find that new toilets have only a 1/2" recess around the
outlet. This makes the new toilet sit 1/4" above the tile floor. (3/4"
protruding height less 1/2 " recess). A also need about 1/4' for the
compressed wax ring, leaving me 1/2 " from proper seating of the toilet.

The sewer outlet pipe is 4" ABS, coming up through the concrete slab. The
ABS flange is glued to the *outside* of this pipe. The flange is not screwed
down, just sitting there.

I propose to cut off the flange/pipe level with the tile floor, using an
angle-grinder. I will then glue an *inside* flange into the 4" pipe. The new
ABS flange is 3/8" thick and will sit directly on the tile floor. I should
gain 3/8" using this approach, which should be enough to seat the toilet
properly.

Does this make sense?

Walter
www.rationality.net

Old July 17th 10, 05:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Hope this image of the flange will work:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5062/1000487z.jpg

Walter
www.rationality.net

Old July 17th 10, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter E." wrote in message

[...]

www.rationality.net- Hide quoted text -

You're the second poster with this problem in the past couple of
weeks. Your idea sounds fine as long as you get a good seal to the
new flange.
Old July 17th 10, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter E." wrote in message
[...]

Walter... If want a good and neat and easy job cutting get the multi purpose
tool from Harbor Freight. My son bought one to cut flush a plastic pipe on
camp trailer dump tank. No other way to get to it. Works great so I bought
one also and found how good it works on flush cuts that would be difficult
any other way. WW

Old July 17th 10, 09:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in
:

"Walter E." wrote in message
[...]

No other way to get to it.

Not sure about that. See link to cable saw below. Borg has them as well.

http://www.generaltools.com/Products...-Saw__858.aspx

I swear by my HF tool as well. May even work better than a cable saw in
this case since the user might tend to hold the ends off the floor making
it difficult cutting through the entire flange. Be aware the high
oscillations of the saw will melt the plastic. If you stop where the
blade is still within PVC you could weld the blade in the plastic. Even
the link to the cable saw warns about it.

Old July 19th 10, 04:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"WW" wrote in
:

snip...