Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Current flow in main neutral vs. current through water meter

That is a very interesting observation!

And I wonder if you were to turn your main power off, if you would get a
reading of a current flow at your water meter?

My thinking being that your ground is connected to your neighbor's grounds,
and it might then flow "backwards" through your water pipes and to your
neutral and back to the electric pole.

As to the answer to your question, might want to ask at the following
electrical forum. Some pretty sharp people there...
http://forum.doityourself.com/electrical-c-d-c-9

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

The current in the main neutral *should* be the difference in current
between the main hot legs, right?
However, it is usually off by between 1 and 1.5 amps, which seems to
correspond to the current flow through/around the water meter. This would
seem to be a *necessary* relationship, right?

My impression is that prior to the utility replacing the old wires along
the poles and to my house, this current flow through/around the water
meter was a lot higher -- 3-5 amps.

So the Q is: What is "acceptable" ito current flow through the water
meter to the street?

My assumption is that if I took out the water meter, then all of the
neutral current would necessarily flow through the main neutral, and it is
just that apparently the water plumbing ground is "good enough" to share
some of the return load -- which doesn't seem like such a terrible thing,
esp. given the aluminum conductors used by the utility, vs. the copper
plumbing to the street, and perhaps farther.

But again, what are acceptable limits ito of current flow through grounds?
Is there an NEC ratio, a percentage?
Mine seems to be pretty constant at this 1-1.5 A.

--
EA