Drilling Hardy Plank Siding

Old June 23rd 09, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drilling Hardy Plank Siding

Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. Does that apply to
"accessories" also? I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris
Old June 23rd 09, 03:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 9:57*pm, red wrote:
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. *Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? * I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. *Does that apply to
"accessories" also? * I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

It may also be that the siding needs to be able to move a little as it
heats up (expands) or cools down (contracts).
Screws into or through it might cause splitting/cracking and also
might void any warranty? May be best to check further.
A neighbour here had trouble with some Hardi-plank crumbling in our
(at times) damp climate. Hardie Plank provided some compensation under
warranty on basis that before sale the local retailer may have stored
it outside. Also advising that it should be installed and immediately
painted!
Old June 23rd 09, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"red" wrote in message
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. Does that apply to
"accessories" also? I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

Fasteners must be corrosion resistant, galvanized, or stainless steel...I'd
find the studs....

Old June 23rd 09, 04:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
"red" wrote in message
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. Does that apply to
"accessories" also? I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

Fasteners must be corrosion resistant, galvanized, or stainless
steel...I'd find the studs....

Right. And drill a hole in the HardiePlank such that it doesn't bind on the
plank.

Old June 23rd 09, 06:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

red wrote:
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. Does that apply to
"accessories" also? I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi,
My cabin has that kind sidings on exterior wall. I only hung couple of
hose hangers. I drilled little larger hole that the screws into a stud,
I put teflon washer under/over the hanger holes. Nothing bad happened
over the years.
Old June 24th 09, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 10:10*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
benick wrote:
snip

OK, thanks all. The planks are 200 klicks away from my workshop, so
knowing things in advance is helpful!
Old June 24th 09, 05:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 12:11*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
red wrote:
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. *Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? * I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. *Does that apply to
"accessories" also? * I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi,
My cabin has that kind sidings on exterior wall. I only hung couple of
hose hangers. I drilled little larger hole that the screws into a stud,
I put teflon washer under/over the hanger holes. Nothing bad happened
over the years.

I used Hardie siding on my storage shed. When I put a hose hanger on
the side of it I quickly learned to drill it much like you would
ceramic tile, make the hole bigger than the screw and either screw
into a stud or use some kind of anchor like you would on sheetrock.

Jimmie