Carpet Not Cleaned In 30 Years

Old August 11th 08, 05:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet Not Cleaned In 30 Years

My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). We may inherit this home one day. By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?
Old August 11th 08, 06:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 12:45*am, Robinkae wrote:
My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. *It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. *However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). *We may inherit this home one day. *By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. *Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?

My inlaws house is the same way. The house was built in '74 and the
carpet has never been professional cleaned, just vacuumed.
They always took their shoes off when they came in the house and put
on slippers. The green shag still looks like new.

Jimmie
Old August 11th 08, 10:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Robinkae" wrote in message
My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). We may inherit this home one day. By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?

No matter how well it is vacuumed, after 40 years it will still be loaded
with all sorts of dirt deep down in the pile. I'd get rid of it. Just
recently heard that carpet can weigh twice as much as new because of the
accumulated dust over the years. I don't know if that is completely true.
If they have pets, I'd get rid of it before moving in.

Old August 11th 08, 12:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 12:45*am, Robinkae wrote:
My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. *It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. *However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). *We may inherit this home one day. *By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. *Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?

I can't think of any health hazard but would probably have house
professionally cleaned when empty. A new carpet actually presents
higher health hazards while fumes from the manufacturing process
clear.

Frank
Old August 11th 08, 02:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Robinkae" wrote in message
My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). We may inherit this home one day. By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?

Yuck! Get rid of it no matter how good it looks. Open up all of the shades
and blinds in the house and turn on all of the lights to get a good look.
There are a tremendous amount of floor covering options today. Start
looking at them and decide what you might really want. Ask realtors what
they think in terms of resale value.

Old August 11th 08, 03:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Robinkae" wrote in message
My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). We may inherit this home one day. By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?

No matter how well it is vacuumed, after 40 years it will still be loaded
with all sorts of dirt deep down in the pile. I'd get rid of it. Just
recently heard that carpet can weigh twice as much as new because of the
accumulated dust over the years. I don't know if that is completely true.
If they have pets, I'd get rid of it before moving in.

It is amazing how much dirt you will find UNDER a carpet. The fine dust and
dirt filters down the pile, through the backing and sits on the floor or the
underpad. Also an underpad that is 30 years old will also be deteriorating
and probably is just crumbs where the heavy traffic is. No amount of
shampooing and cleaning will remove this stuff from under the carpet.
Actually wetting the carpet may make it worse.

Old August 11th 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Robinkae wrote:

My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). We may inherit this home one day. By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?

A forty year accumulation of dirt particles buried in the carpet and
pad. It's up to you whether that's a concern for you or not.

The carpet backing is probably crumbling already, and might be
showing visible decay in just a few more years. My brother and I
pulled 30-year old carpeting out of his house. While pulling it up
it tore almost as easily as paper. Turned out the backing was
brittle and crumbling.

HellT
Old August 11th 08, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

We just hauled up the carpet in our daughter's room to replace it with
laminate, we bought the house 3 weeks ago, and under the carpet and regular
underlay, there was some black rubbery stuck to the floorboards underlay.
I'm guessing it was there for the 30 years the house has been built. The
stink from it was disgusting, as soon as you opened the door to the room it
assaulted you. I would definately haul it up if it's still on the floor at
that point. Based on what we saw/smelled in our daughter's room, we decided
to renovate the other bedroom as well just to eliminate it.

Old August 11th 08, 09:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:45:41 -0700 (PDT), Robinkae
wrote:

My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). We may inherit this home one day. By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?

Health problems, I doubt it. How is the health of your in-laws?

I say, Wait another 30 years and then it's your children's problem.

Old August 11th 08, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Robinkae wrote:
My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). We may inherit this home one day. By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?

Um, lessee. 30 years ago was 1978? Was that when the house was built? By
any chance is there hardwood under there? If the house was built in
1968, I'd say probably, but if it was built in 1978, it gets iffy. Next
time you are over there, pull up a heat grate from the floor, and take a
peek. If there is hardwood, it's a no brainer- pull the carpet out and
get the floors cleaned or refinished. (Sometimes, if it was a factory
finish on the hardwood and they didn't have pets or houseplants on the
floor, you get lucky and all it needs is cleaning and waxing.)

If no hardwood, I agree with the others- time for a rip'n'replace. In
30-40 years, no matter how clean a house, there will be a layer of crud
under there.

I'm not a fan of w/w carpet, for lots of reasons. Not being
allergy-friendly is just one of them.

--
aem sends...