Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormlady Stormlady is offline

Default Carpet Not Cleaned In 30 Years

We just hauled up the carpet in our daughter's room to replace it with
laminate, we bought the house 3 weeks ago, and under the carpet and regular
underlay, there was some black rubbery stuck to the floorboards underlay.
I'm guessing it was there for the 30 years the house has been built. The
stink from it was disgusting, as soon as you opened the door to the room it
assaulted you. I would definately haul it up if it's still on the floor at
that point. Based on what we saw/smelled in our daughter's room, we decided
to renovate the other bedroom as well just to eliminate it.

"Robinkae" wrote in message
My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). We may inherit this home one day. By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?