Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default Carpet Not Cleaned In 30 Years

On Aug 11, 12:45*am, Robinkae wrote:
My in-laws installed carpet in their home 30 years ago. *It was high
quality and vacuumed regularly; it still looks good. *However, they
have never had the carpet professionally cleaned in any way (either
steamed or shampooed). *We may inherit this home one day. *By then the
carpet will be 40 or more years old. *Are their any health or
cleanliness problems we should be concerned about?

Well you can see that a lot of people are concerned, but not I,
that I have seen, has any real reason to believe so. We don't need to
live in a sterile environment. In fact we don't.

OK if you pull it up, you will find DIRT under it. Likely anyway.
Now, go out the front door and look around. Guess what, there is dirt
on the sidewalk, there is dirt under the grass. Get a life. If you
want it cleaned, clean it.

Frankly I would expect carpet that old to be worn and read for
replacement. Yea, I would clean things up before putting new down.
But if the carpet is OK and you don't hate the color or style, I would
sure leave it there.