driveway sealer roller

Old August 8th 08, 04:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default driveway sealer roller

i see lowes has rollers for driveway sealer, kind of like paint
rollers only bigger. instead of a squeegee or brush. what does the
assembled wisdom say about this?
Old August 8th 08, 05:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 10:41�pm, z wrote:
i see lowes has rollers for driveway sealer, kind of like paint
rollers only bigger. instead of a squeegee or brush. what does the
assembled wisdom say about this?

home depot was out of brushes and with family coming I was in a rush.

So I bought a broom and washed it out when done.

the longer handle on the broom was easier on my back than the cheap
short handled sealer bush.

rollers should work well too
Old August 8th 08, 05:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

i see lowes has rollers for driveway sealer, kind of like paint
rollers only bigger. instead of a squeegee or brush. what does the
assembled wisdom say about this?

I would think a roller would not push or force the sealer into the tiny
nooks and crannies as a brush does. Though I've never used one I'd
think the squeegee is much better ar providing a consistant thickness of
the coat, too.

If you try it, let us know?

Old August 8th 08, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 19:41:16 -0700 (PDT), z
wrote:

i see lowes has rollers for driveway sealer, kind of like paint
rollers only bigger. instead of a squeegee or brush. what does the
assembled wisdom say about this?

I don't think it really matters if you use a roller, brush, or
squeegee. As long as the tool is wide enough to be efficient
it will work.

I've been using the same squeegee every year since 1986.
I have never cleaned it after use. It is now just a long handled
Tee with 20 or so coats of sealant on it. I can easily stretch a
400 square foot pail to 900 square feet if I choose to. That
should tell you that it's more in the application than it is in the
applicator.
Old August 9th 08, 12:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 11:17�am, "TWayne" wrote:
i see lowes has rollers for driveway sealer, kind of like paint
rollers only bigger. instead of a squeegee or brush. what does the
assembled wisdom say about this?

I would think a roller would not push or force the sealer into the tiny
nooks and crannies as a brush does. �Though I've never used one I'd
think the squeegee is much better ar providing a consistant thickness of
the coat, too.

If you try it, let us know?

thats my theory on why brushing paint is better than rolling
Old August 10th 08, 06:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

z writes:
i see lowes has rollers for driveway sealer, kind of like paint
rollers only bigger. instead of a squeegee or brush. what does the
assembled wisdom say about this?

For many years, I have been using a 9" long, THICK nap foam roller to
get the edges between our driveway and the brick border since I find
it hard to perfectly control the squeegee along the border and not get
the bricks messy.

Works just fine but I would think that over longer distances that the
squeegee is easier/faster than rolling -- especially since half my
work with the squeegee is redistributing the material from one big
puddle to where it needs to be since usually I pour out about 1/4 of a
5 gallon barrel at a time - I would think that a roller would require
more dipping which would take more time.