A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Home Repair
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Sump Basin is always full of water



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 31st 08, 02:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

Hello all. I'm a fairly new homeowner. I purchased a ranch that sits
on about 3 acres of land... This house has had its fair share of
issues for only being 9 years old. It has a basement with two sump
pumps. One I'm sure is connected into the septic system and the other
I believe is intended to divert water that is collected beneath the
house? Anyhow, I have replaced my sump pump for my second time. * I
was lucky to purchase a pump with a lifetime warranty the last go. *
The sump basin is almost always full of water. Would it be safe to
say there is a clog somewhere in the pipe going outside of my property
or even a hole that is causing the water to just filter back into the
basement? My pumps can barely keep up with the constant flow of water
going into the sump basin. There have been occasions where the
electric has gone out, and the basement will flood. (Iím planning to
get a back up pump but that is another story all together.) I know
that water problems should be corrected from the outside in. So I
have made sure to clean my gutters, clear any derbies from the
connecting gutter outlets and made sure everything is properly
diverted away from the house. This has actually helped to keep water
from entering into the basement while the electric is out. However, I
still seem to have a consistent flow of water in the sump basin. Any
suggestions on how I can remediate this problem is much appreciated!
Ads
  #2  
Old July 31st 08, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 99
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

Papa Smurf:

Be aware that due to massive amount of problems with posters from GMAIL,
many readers of this newsgroup filter out all posts that come from @gmail
like your original post.

Your post needs as wide an audience as you can get. There is a remote
chance that the leach field for your septic tank system may be in some
way influencing the extra moisture in your sump pumps.

Also, with 3 acres of land I suspect your sump pumps would be directed to
a dry well (hole in ground filled with rocks and covered with dirt and
sod.) Rain fall in this wet summer may have soaked land around you and
dry well is saturated.

I am not an expert on this. Please post back about where you are
located, i.e.: dry southwest, Upper Midwest, Great lakes region, East
coast shore line. If you are in Iowa flood plain, or Mississippi valley,
go away until next year.

  #3  
Old July 31st 08, 02:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

On Jul 31, 9:40*am, Phil Again wrote:
Papa Smurf:

Be aware that due to massive amount of problems with posters from GMAIL,
many readers of this newsgroup filter out all posts that come from @gmail
like your original post. *

Your post needs as wide an audience as you can get. There is a remote
chance that the leach field for your septic tank system may be in some
way influencing the extra moisture in your sump pumps. *

Also, with 3 acres of land I suspect your sump pumps would be directed to
a dry well (hole in ground filled with rocks and covered with dirt and
sod.) *Rain fall in this wet summer may have soaked land around you and
dry well is saturated.

I am not an expert on this. *Please post back about where you are
located, i.e.: dry southwest, Upper Midwest, Great lakes region, East
coast shore line. *If you are in Iowa flood plain, or Mississippi valley,
go away until next year.


I am in Ohio. Unfortunately, leaving home isn't an option for me.
haha... Wish I could sometimes though. I don't know much about the
septic system it's self. Are there any good resources I could tap
into to educate myself before I call people to correct this issue?
  #4  
Old July 31st 08, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,378
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

papa smurf wrote:
Hello all. I'm a fairly new homeowner. I purchased a ranch that sits
on about 3 acres of land... This house has had its fair share of
issues for only being 9 years old. It has a basement with two sump
pumps. One I'm sure is connected into the septic system


That's generally a no-no and undoubtedly would be disallowed by whatever
is the jurisdiction in charge if there were one.

....
The sump basin is almost always full of water. Would it be safe to
say there is a clog somewhere in the pipe going outside of my property
or even a hole that is causing the water to just filter back into the
basement?


No, if the pipe were shut it wouldn't flow -- what it means is whatever
is the water source is higher than the sump pit. If you're in one of
the super wet areas this summer, more than likely the ground is
saturated and the groundwater level is just below the surface a few feet
and essentially your basement is acting as a boat. Again, if you have
any rise around the house, quitting putting the outflow into the septic
and exhausting it to run away on the surface may help slightly over time.

....

still seem to have a consistent flow of water in the sump basin. Any
suggestions on how I can remediate this problem is much appreciated!


See above and check w/ locals on what the normal water tables, etc.,
are. There's too little anybody remote can know about the area and the
location and house in particular to do more than just generalize.

--
  #5  
Old July 31st 08, 03:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,378
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

ransley wrote:
....
... or even the city inspector.


3A _in_ the city???

--

  #6  
Old July 31st 08, 03:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,938
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

On Jul 31, 8:52*am, papa smurf wrote:
On Jul 31, 9:40*am, Phil Again wrote:





Papa Smurf:


Be aware that due to massive amount of problems with posters from GMAIL,
many readers of this newsgroup filter out all posts that come from @gmail
like your original post. *


Your post needs as wide an audience as you can get. There is a remote
chance that the leach field for your septic tank system may be in some
way influencing the extra moisture in your sump pumps. *


Also, with 3 acres of land I suspect your sump pumps would be directed to
a dry well (hole in ground filled with rocks and covered with dirt and
sod.) *Rain fall in this wet summer may have soaked land around you and
dry well is saturated.


I am not an expert on this. *Please post back about where you are
located, i.e.: dry southwest, Upper Midwest, Great lakes region, East
coast shore line. *If you are in Iowa flood plain, or Mississippi valley,
go away until next year.


I am in Ohio. *Unfortunately, leaving home isn't an option for me.
haha... *Wish I could sometimes though. *I don't *know much about the
septic system it's self. *Are there any good resources I could tap
into to educate myself before I call people to correct this issue?- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


It could be many issues and just simply high water level. You need to
get the water sampled to see if it is city water= main break, sewer
water= sewer or septic, or ground water meaning high water table.
Contack your water co, mine would come out for free for ideas and
quick evaluation and know who could test water. I imagine you pay alot
to keep it pumped out. If its just the water table then it will be
hard to fix, only maybe will trees plants, and diverting water help.
You need onsite pro advise your water co may be able to give, or even
the city inspector.
  #7  
Old July 31st 08, 04:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,505
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

On Jul 31, 10:09*am, dpb wrote:
papa smurf wrote:
Hello all. *I'm a fairly new homeowner. *I purchased a ranch that sits
on about 3 acres of land... *This house has had its fair share of
issues for only being 9 years old. *It has a basement with two sump
pumps. *One I'm sure is connected into the septic system


That's generally a no-no and undoubtedly would be disallowed by whatever
is the jurisdiction in charge if there were one.

...

The sump basin is almost always full of water. *Would it be safe to
say there is a clog somewhere in the pipe going outside of my property
or even a hole that is causing the water to just filter back into the
basement? *


No, if the pipe were shut it wouldn't flow -- what it means is whatever
is the water source is higher than the sump pit. *If you're in one of
the super wet areas this summer, more than likely the ground is
saturated and the groundwater level is just below the surface a few feet
and essentially your basement is acting as a boat. *Again, if you have
any rise around the house, quitting putting the outflow into the septic
and exhausting it to run away on the surface may help slightly over time.

...

still seem to have a consistent flow of water in the sump basin. *Any
suggestions on how I can remediate this problem is much appreciated!


See above and check w/ locals on what the normal water tables, etc.,
are. *There's too little anybody remote can know about the area and the
location and house in particular to do more than just generalize.

--



Agree with all of the above. A sump pump should not be connected
into the septic system as it can put a lot of water into a place where
you don't need it. Sump pump water can be discharged on the surface,
15ft+ from the house. I'd check with neighbors to see what their
experience with ground water has been. Even then, it can vary
significantly from one house to the next. You should check as to
exactly where the water is going when it pumps out and make sure a lot
of it's not running back into the sump pit (check valve).

Your next step may be to bring in a home inspector or similar to
evaluate what is going on as it's impossible to diagnose this by
remote control.
  #8  
Old July 31st 08, 07:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

A sump pump should not be connected
into the septic system as it can put a lot of water into a place where
you don't need it. *


I also agree.
  #9  
Old July 31st 08, 08:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,580
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

Phil Again wrote:
Papa Smurf:

Be aware that due to massive amount of problems with posters from
GMAIL, many readers of this newsgroup filter out all posts that come
from @gmail like your original post.


I would think the posters from GMAIL would have the problem inasmuch as you
can't post to a newsgroup using GMAIL.

You can post via Google Groups and/or use a return address of a gmail
account, but as far as using gmail itself to post, sorry, can't be done.


  #10  
Old July 31st 08, 09:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 69
Default Sump Basin is always full of water

Is there a long rise of pipe on the discharge? Is thre a check valve to
prevent the water from coming back?
"papa smurf" wrote in message
...
Hello all. I'm a fairly new homeowner. I purchased a ranch that sits
on about 3 acres of land... This house has had its fair share of
issues for only being 9 years old. It has a basement with two sump
pumps. One I'm sure is connected into the septic system and the other
I believe is intended to divert water that is collected beneath the
house? Anyhow, I have replaced my sump pump for my second time. * I
was lucky to purchase a pump with a lifetime warranty the last go. *
The sump basin is almost always full of water. Would it be safe to
say there is a clog somewhere in the pipe going outside of my property
or even a hole that is causing the water to just filter back into the
basement? My pumps can barely keep up with the constant flow of water
going into the sump basin. There have been occasions where the
electric has gone out, and the basement will flood. (Iím planning to
get a back up pump but that is another story all together.) I know
that water problems should be corrected from the outside in. So I
have made sure to clean my gutters, clear any derbies from the
connecting gutter outlets and made sure everything is properly
diverted away from the house. This has actually helped to keep water
from entering into the basement while the electric is out. However, I
still seem to have a consistent flow of water in the sump basin. Any
suggestions on how I can remediate this problem is much appreciated!


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sump basin leaking [email protected] Home Repair 7 August 13th 07 12:39 AM
Sump Pump is full. Please help kavlai[email protected] Home Repair 7 July 1st 06 02:31 AM
Sump basin question Jack Home Repair 2 November 30th 05 11:56 PM
Adding a basin to a toilet with no route for basin waste pipe Richard Hamer UK diy 24 July 22nd 04 12:12 AM
Wash-hand basin water drains away very slowly Kevin Becks UK diy 2 September 5th 03 06:52 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.