Installing foil backed insullation board.

Old December 26th 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair
sid

Default Installing foil backed insullation board.

If I finish my basement and start by placing insulation foam board
against the basement walls, which way should the foil face ? I have
seen it installed so that the foil faces the interior, but logic would
lead you to think that the foil should be on the outside and the foam
turned inside.

Any help is appreciated.

Sid.
Old December 26th 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 5:01*pm, "Mark" wrote:
The vapor barrier always faces the heated or inside of the wall.

"sid" wrote in message

If I finish my basement and start by placing insulation foam board
against the basement walls, which way should the foil face ? * I have
seen it installed so that the foil faces the interior, but logic would
lead you to think that the foil should be on the outside and the foam
turned inside.

Any help is appreciated.

Sid.- Hide quoted text -

Itsnt the foil on both sides, its just painted on one side.
Old December 26th 07, 11:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
The vapor barrier always faces the heated or inside of the wall.

Please don't top post.

Be careful with this advice. The actual rule is; place vapor
barrier on the "warm" side of the insulation. In the south,
that is the outside. So, it depends on where you are living.

Since this is a basement, I would assume that it is in the
north. We don't have basements down here, so if you are up
north, put the foil on the interior side. In a basement
installation, it really doesn't make a whole lot of
difference, however.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Old December 27th 07, 12:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote:

If I finish my basement and start by placing insulation foam board
against the basement walls, which way should the foil face?

Inside, if there's only 1 and no airspace between the board and the wall.
That way, the foil adds about R2 to the board insulation value. The board
itself is a vapor barrier, so from that point of view it doesn't matter
where the foil goes.

Double-foil board will work better with an air gap between the foil and
the wall, but the wall foil needs another vapor barrier on the wall itself
(eg polyethylene film) to protect the foil from moisture.

Nick

Old December 27th 07, 02:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

If I finish my basement and start by placing insulation foam board
against the basement walls, which way should the foil face ? * I have
seen it installed so that the foil faces the interior, but logic would
lead you to think that the foil should be on the outside and the foam
turned inside.

Any help is appreciated.

Sid.- Hide quoted text -

Pink and blue foamboard are R5.5" Foilfaced polyisocyanurate is R 7.2
plus a radiant barrier
Old December 27th 07, 04:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair
sid

"sid" wrote in message

If I finish my basement and start by placing insulation foam board
against the basement walls, which way should the foil face ? * I have
seen it installed so that the foil faces the interior, but logic would
lead you to think that the foil should be on the outside and the foam
turned inside.

Any help is appreciated.

Sid.- Hide quoted text -

Pink and blue foamboard are R5.5" *Foilfaced polyisocyanurate is R 7.2
plus a radiant barrier- Hide quoted text -

You were correct on the location: Chicago suburb, New construction.

I checked with my local 'Home Depot' and 'Lows' and both carry 1/2",
3/4" and 1" single and double foil sided foam board. But, if I choose
double foil sided, I need to cover the wall with a plastic first ?
(glue it up or something ? )

Is it worth the difference in price to use 1" instead of 1/2" or
3/4" ?
Is there a particular name brand that I should use, or stay away
from ? or just use whatever is in stock ?

Thanks

Sid.

Old December 27th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

when I was doing my basement, this group was very helpful. They pointed me
to the Building Sciences Corp site for information on basement insulation
systems.

All your questions will be answered in their literature. I found it to be a
great resource.

Old December 28th 07, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair
sid

On Dec 27, 11:59*am, "JohnnyC" wrote:
when I was doing my basement, this group was very helpful. *They pointed me
to the Building Sciences Corp site for information on basement insulation
systems.

All your questions will be answered in their literature. *I found it to be a
great resource.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...octypes/digest

Ok, I read it and if I understood it correctly. You should never
attempt to trap moisture, and foam board with-out foil or plastic
backing should be used in the basement. Right ?

It even stated that insulation between the studs without a paper face
should be used.

Thanks

Sid.

Old December 28th 07, 11:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...3-understandin...

Ok, I read it and if I understood it correctly. You should never
attempt to trap moisture, and foam board with-out foil or plastic
backing should be used in the basement. Right ?

It even stated that insulation between the studs without a paper face
should be used.

Thanks

Sid.

I would go with the extruded polystyrene (Dow Blue or Owens Corning
foamular). The foil faced insulation is polyisocyanurate which can
soak up water--a bad thing on a basement wall. If you have room, I
would go with 2".