Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Installing foil backed insullation board.

On Dec 27, 8:29*am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 27, 7:50*am, "JohnnyC" wrote:

To the group...should he be even using the foil insulation, or the pink foam
board? *Does it matter?
Thanks.

"sid" wrote in message

If I finish my basement and start by placing insulation foam board
against the basement walls, which way should the foil face ? * I have
seen it installed so that the foil faces the interior, but logic would
lead you to think that the foil should be on the outside and the foam
turned inside.

Any help is appreciated.

Sid.- Hide quoted text -

Pink and blue foamboard are R5.5" *Foilfaced polyisocyanurate is R 7.2
plus a radiant barrier- Hide quoted text -

You were correct on the location: Chicago suburb, New construction.

I checked with my local 'Home Depot' and 'Lows' and both carry 1/2",
3/4" and 1" single and double foil sided foam board. But, if I choose
double foil sided, I need to cover the wall with a plastic first ?
(glue it up or something ? )

Is it worth the difference in price to use 1" instead of 1/2" or
3/4" ?
Is there a particular name brand that I should use, or stay away
from ? or just use whatever is in stock ?

Thanks

Sid.