Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Jay is offline

Default Crickets

I would love some advice on how to limit the cricket population at my
home. I have tried many different bug sprays, with the noisy
creatures prevailing. My last resort was to go to a pet store and
purchase some Geckos, let them loose in the back yard, and (hopefully)
sleep in silence. The guy at the pet store said this was a terrible
idea. He said the Geckos would run away. If they have a plentiful
amount of food, why would they leave. Does anyone have any other
ideas? I would be forever in your debt...

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Jay" wrote in message
ps.com...
I would love some advice on how to limit the cricket population at
my
home. I have tried many different bug sprays, with the noisy
creatures prevailing. My last resort was to go to a pet store and
purchase some Geckos, let them loose in the back yard, and
(hopefully)
sleep in silence. The guy at the pet store said this was a
terrible
idea. He said the Geckos would run away. If they have a
plentiful
amount of food, why would they leave. Does anyone have any other
ideas? I would be forever in your debt...

Thank you.

Don't know where you live, but around here (TX), when it starts
getting cool, the crickets seem to congregate around buildings
(homes, stores, anything), I suppose to stay warm. When you kill
the ones you have, a new crop will come in that very night.

There doesn't seem to be any way to handle them in the huge numbers,
or else stores would be doing so. Sometimes they are so thick on
sidewalks that they are dangerously slippery.

Probably just going to have to live with it, and soon they will go
away.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay wrote:
I would love some advice on how to limit the cricket population at my
home. I have tried many different bug sprays, with the noisy
creatures prevailing. My last resort was to go to a pet store and
purchase some Geckos, let them loose in the back yard, and (hopefully)
sleep in silence. The guy at the pet store said this was a terrible
idea. He said the Geckos would run away. If they have a plentiful
amount of food, why would they leave. Does anyone have any other
ideas? I would be forever in your debt...

Thank you.

Got me thinking. Crickets are a pain this time of year here too but
have been far less so this year. I've also noted more snakes around the
property and a family of skunks. I think they are helping to keep the
crickets down.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

run fan or other white noise generatort in bedroom, and you wouldnt be
able to hear the crickets

This also works for neighbors barking dogs and other disturbances!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 4:53 am, Jay wrote:
I would love some advice on how to limit the cricket population at my
home. I have tried many different bug sprays, with the noisy
creatures prevailing. .............................

..
More damn chemical sprays etc.that end up in our water supplies!
If one doesn't like the natural conditions prevailing in an area why
live there?

As humans we are always trying to change the world around us, rather
than fit in!
Shakespeare was right, back in the Middle Ages, when, long before the
widespread use of chemical pollutants he wrote "Lord, what fools these
mortals be". (Puck. In Midsummer Night's Dream).

Bats are said to be a good way of keeping down the mosquitoes and
other insects. Maybe crickets would be a tasty morsel to them if you
could encourage a few to live in the area by providing a 'bat house'
For which have a design somewhere.

Wasps too control other insects such as mosquitoes. We probably attack
them too?

PS. We don't have Crickets, or Lightning Bugs, or that many insects
here. Too cool. There are a few (very few) grass hoppers during our
shortish summer. So must admit that not aware how much a problem the
noise must be.
But surely in a properly insulated house with windows closed etc. the
noise would not be noticeable? My neighbour keeps his transport truck,
with air brakes and all the works, less than some 100 feet from my
bedroom and never hear him start and drive off around 5.00 AM each
morning! Although must admit did hear another neighbour mowing with a
3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton some 15 feet from bedroom one morning
around 7.00 AM!.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay writes:

I would love some advice on how to limit the cricket population at my
home. I have tried many different bug sprays, with the noisy
creatures prevailing.

You may very well have a lot of crickets but have you ever heard
of tinnitus?

Only after I realized that crickets don't chirp when it's snowing out
did I realize what I was hearing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:

.
More damn chemical sprays etc.that end up in our water supplies!
If one doesn't like the natural conditions prevailing in an area why
live there?

As humans we are always trying to change the world around us, rather
than fit in!
Shakespeare was right, back in the Middle Ages, when, long before the
widespread use of chemical pollutants he wrote "Lord, what fools these
mortals be". (Puck. In Midsummer Night's Dream).

I, too, sometimes yearn for the good old days. Then I think: dentistry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 8:08 am, " wrote:
run fan or other white noise generatort in bedroom, and you wouldnt be
able to hear the crickets

This also works for neighbors barking dogs and other disturbances!

My wife bought a sound generator for the bedroom, one of the choices
is "chirping crickets". I like the "rushing stream" sound myself or
"ocean waves", but she plays the cricket one a lot and I have no say
in the matter since she's the one with insomnia. The thing does work
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:03:31 -0700, RickH
wrote:

On Oct 1, 8:08 am, " wrote:
run fan or other white noise generatort in bedroom, and you wouldnt be
able to hear the crickets

This also works for neighbors barking dogs and other disturbances!

My wife bought a sound generator for the bedroom, one of the choices
is "chirping crickets". I like the "rushing stream" sound myself or
"ocean waves", but she plays the cricket one a lot and I have no say
in the matter since she's the one with insomnia. The thing does work
though.

As a substitute, try a Paratroopers Clicker "Cricket". *

(..used by paratroopers to identify each other in enemy territory.)

When she falls asleep go back too your waves

http://www.ddaymuseum.org/store/prod...roducts_id=176

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:53:17 -0000, Jay
wrote:

I would love some advice on how to limit the cricket population at my
home. I have tried many different bug sprays, with the noisy
creatures prevailing. My last resort was to go to a pet store and
purchase some Geckos, let them loose in the back yard, and (hopefully)
sleep in silence. The guy at the pet store said this was a terrible
idea. He said the Geckos would run away. If they have a plentiful
amount of food, why would they leave. Does anyone have any other
ideas? I would be forever in your debt...

Thank you.

Limit the critters, by limiting what you bring from the
nursery/landscape centers.

After some landscape years ago; using large bark mulch, we unknowingly
brought the critters home.

Crickets, by my estimate was an invasion of thousands(?). Crickets all
over a block wall one night when the wife turned a patio light on. .
(sprayed them right then while I could see them).

One cricket in a bathroom bugs me more than a bunch outside.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
Jay writes:

I would love some advice on how to limit the cricket population at my
home. I have tried many different bug sprays, with the noisy
creatures prevailing.

You may very well have a lot of crickets but have you ever heard
of tinnitus?

Only after I realized that crickets don't chirp when it's snowing out
did I realize what I was hearing.

Tinnitus sux.... I've had it as long as I can remember. I'd poke out my
eardrums in a heartbeat if I thought it would make a difference.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/1/2007 8:30 PM Noozer said the following:
"Dan Espen" wrote in message

Jay writes:

I would love some advice on how to limit the cricket population at my
home. I have tried many different bug sprays, with the noisy
creatures prevailing.

You may very well have a lot of crickets but have you ever heard
of tinnitus?

Only after I realized that crickets don't chirp when it's snowing out
did I realize what I was hearing.

Tinnitus sux.... I've had it as long as I can remember. I'd poke out my
eardrums in a heartbeat if I thought it would make a difference.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Me too. Mine sounds like a micro electric motor running at top speed.
Sometimes it gets louder and there are times when it almost sounds like
someone opened a door to it all of a sudden. Fortunately, it is not as
irritating as some others have claimed. It appears to be louder in my
left ear than the right. I have learned to ignore it so well that
sometimes I have to stop and think about it to hear it.
I have no problem hearing it when I go to sleep at night, tho.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
Only after I realized that crickets don't chirp when it's snowing out
did I realize what I was hearing.

Tinnitus sux.... I've had it as long as I can remember. I'd poke out
my eardrums in a heartbeat if I thought it would make a difference.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Me too. Mine sounds like a micro electric motor running at top speed.
Sometimes it gets louder and there are times when it almost sounds like
someone opened a door to it all of a sudden. Fortunately, it is not as
irritating as some others have claimed. It appears to be louder in my
left ear than the right. I have learned to ignore it so well that
sometimes I have to stop and think about it to hear it.
I have no problem hearing it when I go to sleep at night, tho.

I think I have tinnitus also ... not the high-pitch ringing I used to
hear once in a while but more like the sound of water running through
pipes. Strange part is I only notice it when I am at home. I have
excellent hearing, and hubby has not so good, so I can't ask him "what's
that noise?" ) And, no, the water isn't running. If I'm thinking
about the noise and go outside, I still hear it so it is "real". I
wonder if there is background noise that makes it more noticeable at
times....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn writes:

clipped
Only after I realized that crickets don't chirp when it's snowing out
did I realize what I was hearing.

Tinnitus sux.... I've had it as long as I can remember. I'd poke
out my eardrums in a heartbeat if I thought it would make a
difference.

Yeah, from what I've read, that won't help.

[...]

Ah, fellow suffers. I think it's pretty common.

Google will turn up a lot of info but no cures.

I imagine the people with the steady tone suffer the most.
Since I recognized what is going on I've tried to tune out
the noise. Also trying to convince myself I like the sound.
I like the sound of real ones.

Crawlspace Crickets johnnymo Home Repair 5 September 30th 06 04:24 PM
How do I deal with crickets? void Home Ownership 16 September 29th 06 10:10 PM
Crickets ? Iowa883 Home Repair 10 September 18th 05 04:17 PM
Camel Crickets in the Basement Dr. Hardcrab Home Repair 7 May 19th 05 06:40 AM