A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Home Repair
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Dusty road



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 14th 07, 04:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Dusty road

Our community has approximately 3.2 miles of dirt roads which over the
years, maintenance has consisted of purchasing old road milling's and
spreading them over the road and rolling them in with a big roller. Now
there is a movement afoot to have the roads paved, which I'm mostly
against. In my view it will cause more speeding through the community
and will be hot to walk on or along in the summer.

A legitimate complaint I see from those who want it paved, is the
amount of dust generated by traffic on these roads. I'm looking for
alternative solutions that would alleviate the dust problem, but not
involve paving over the roads.

thanks in advance

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Ads
  #2  
Old September 14th 07, 06:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 464
Default Dusty road


"John Reber" wrote in message
.. .
Our community has approximately 3.2 miles of dirt roads which over the
years, maintenance has consisted of purchasing old road milling's and
spreading them over the road and rolling them in with a big roller. Now
there is a movement afoot to have the roads paved, which I'm mostly
against. In my view it will cause more speeding through the community and
will be hot to walk on or along in the summer.

A legitimate complaint I see from those who want it paved, is the amount
of dust generated by traffic on these roads. I'm looking for alternative
solutions that would alleviate the dust problem, but not involve paving
over the roads.

thanks in advance

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


there's a tree sap product that my city uses on dirt roads to cut dust. it
works ok, but we're also in the desert and don't get rain very often.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az


  #3  
Old September 14th 07, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Dusty road

Our Township offers calcium chloride in the spring. They offer to spread it
(for a fee) on the road in front of houses to keep the dust down so you can
enjoy your home and yard without getting blasted with dust when someone
drives by. I notice that when I'm driving down the dirt road, the portions
that have the calcium chloride spread on are dust-free and much smoother
than the portions of the road that were not treated. The road grader
doesn't have to grade those portions as often. I wish they would put that
stuff on the entire road. Here in MN it has to be applied each spring.
Here is a link with more information.
http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmej/9806/rm980603.htm

Sandy
--
Trees are good. Dead or alive. www.rusticwoodworking.com

"John Reber" wrote in message
.. .
Our community has approximately 3.2 miles of dirt roads which over the
years, maintenance has consisted of purchasing old road milling's and
spreading them over the road and rolling them in with a big roller. Now
there is a movement afoot to have the roads paved, which I'm mostly
against. In my view it will cause more speeding through the community and
will be hot to walk on or along in the summer.

A legitimate complaint I see from those who want it paved, is the amount
of dust generated by traffic on these roads. I'm looking for alternative
solutions that would alleviate the dust problem, but not involve paving
over the roads.

thanks in advance

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com



  #4  
Old September 14th 07, 07:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 134
Default Dusty road

My township used to oil the road and cover with a course sand (so the oil
wouldnt stick to your tires) The sun, traffic and dust combined over the
course of a summer to form a crude kind of asphalt topping. Would last for
2 or three years depending on winter heave and than they would do it again.
IF you object to using old oil, there is a soybean oil that is used for the
same purpose

"charlie" wrote in message
...

"John Reber" wrote in message
.. .
Our community has approximately 3.2 miles of dirt roads which over the
years, maintenance has consisted of purchasing old road milling's and
spreading them over the road and rolling them in with a big roller. Now
there is a movement afoot to have the roads paved, which I'm mostly
against. In my view it will cause more speeding through the community
and will be hot to walk on or along in the summer.

A legitimate complaint I see from those who want it paved, is the amount
of dust generated by traffic on these roads. I'm looking for alternative
solutions that would alleviate the dust problem, but not involve paving
over the roads.

thanks in advance

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


there's a tree sap product that my city uses on dirt roads to cut dust. it
works ok, but we're also in the desert and don't get rain very often.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az



  #5  
Old September 14th 07, 09:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,193
Default Dusty road

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:08:39 -0500, jmagerl wrote:

My township used to oil the road and cover with a course sand (so the oil
wouldnt stick to your tires) The sun, traffic and dust combined over the
course of a summer to form a crude kind of asphalt topping. Would last for
2 or three years depending on winter heave and than they would do it again.
IF you object to using old oil, there is a soybean oil that is used for the
same purpose


Here in NE Oh where the rural countryside is peppered with shallow gas and
oil wells the local government allowed the spreading/spraying of brine
water (mixed with crude oil then separated once in the holding tank and
drained off.) for dust control. This worked reasonably well as the brine
has a tendency to glue the contents of the road surface together. And it
didn't cost anything actually saving the operator costs from pumping the
brine down a disposal well.


I think EPA has put a clamp on that -- at least that's what the County
here is saying is the reason they no longer allow the brine disposal
usage here...

--
  #6  
Old September 14th 07, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,193
Default Dusty road

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:52:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:08:39 -0500, jmagerl wrote:

My township used to oil the road and cover with a course sand (so the oil
wouldnt stick to your tires) The sun, traffic and dust combined over the
course of a summer to form a crude kind of asphalt topping. Would last for
2 or three years depending on winter heave and than they would do it again.
IF you object to using old oil, there is a soybean oil that is used for the
same purpose
Here in NE Oh where the rural countryside is peppered with shallow gas and
oil wells the local government allowed the spreading/spraying of brine
water (mixed with crude oil then separated once in the holding tank and
drained off.) for dust control. This worked reasonably well as the brine
has a tendency to glue the contents of the road surface together. And it
didn't cost anything actually saving the operator costs from pumping the
brine down a disposal well.

I think EPA has put a clamp on that -- at least that's what the County
here is saying is the reason they no longer allow the brine disposal
usage here...


Could be, this was a few years back when I owned some wells.


Of course, at the same time, as somebody else noted they still use CaCl
an other stuff all the time and _that_ doesn't offend anybody...

On the oil on road, I ran the County guys off enough times when they
would try it here they finally gave it up -- it's not bad when it's dry,
but come wet spell it makes the top surface slick as soap on glass.

Of course, the daxxed red Okie clay "red gravel" they've hauled up here
and spread out in the low spots is even worse -- had several times this
spring if hadn't had the four-wheeler don't think could have made it
back to the house from town up the couple of small hills w/o just going
out into the ditch or the field -- simply too slick to keep it in the
road w/ enough speed up to make the top of the hill -- and that's w/ a
pretty doggone minimal hill height by anybody's except W KS standards.
I gave 'em enough of a ration over that they've hauled enough good
old KS sand back in on top of it to at least make it passable although
since it's not rained enough to be more than a spit since end of June...

--


--


  #7  
Old September 14th 07, 10:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,491
Default Dusty road

on 9/14/2007 11:29 AM John Reber said the following:
Our community has approximately 3.2 miles of dirt roads which over
the years, maintenance has consisted of purchasing old road milling's
and spreading them over the road and rolling them in with a big
roller. Now there is a movement afoot to have the roads paved, which
I'm mostly against. In my view it will cause more speeding through
the community and will be hot to walk on or along in the summer.


Both arguments are weak.
Are these private roads or public roads?
Are these roads within a community that has limited access?
Who is paying for the maintenance and paving of the roads, the highway
department or the residents of the community?
Why would the paved roads invite speeders, unless it is a shortcut that
no one uses now because it's not paved.
Unless your community walks on the road barefoot, the temp of the road
will not matter. I have a lot of people taking their morning runs along
the roads in my community. But they wear running shoes.


A legitimate complaint I see from those who want it paved, is the
amount of dust generated by traffic on these roads. I'm looking for
alternative solutions that would alleviate the dust problem, but not
involve paving over the roads.

thanks in advance


1. Oil
2. Calcium chloride spread on the roadway. Requires 2 or 3 treatments a
year.


--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To email, remove the double zeroes after @
  #8  
Old September 14th 07, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 497
Default Dusty road

On Sep 14, 2:42 pm, willshak wrote:

Why would the paved roads invite speeders, unless it is a shortcut that
no one uses now because it's not paved.


I live on a paved road that doesn't really go anywhere except to a few
homes. It's no shortcut to anywhere, but amazingly we still have
idiots speeding down our road. Some wide but shallow speedbumps
probably would cure that, as long as they are just past MY driveway,
of course.

Otherwise I hate speedbumps.

  #9  
Old September 14th 07, 11:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Dusty road

willshak wrote:
on 9/14/2007 11:29 AM John Reber said the following:
Our community has approximately 3.2 miles of dirt roads which over
the years, maintenance has consisted of purchasing old road milling's
and spreading them over the road and rolling them in with a big
roller. Now there is a movement afoot to have the roads paved, which
I'm mostly against. In my view it will cause more speeding through
the community and will be hot to walk on or along in the summer.


Both arguments are weak.
Are these private roads or public roads?
Are these roads within a community that has limited access?
Who is paying for the maintenance and paving of the roads, the highway
department or the residents of the community?
Why would the paved roads invite speeders, unless it is a shortcut that
no one uses now because it's not paved.
Unless your community walks on the road barefoot, the temp of the road
will not matter. I have a lot of people taking their morning runs along
the roads in my community. But they wear running shoes.


It's a private community with limited access maintained by the
residents. I'm not concerned about outsiders speeding through the
community, it's the kids that can't now because the road is too bumpy. I
walk down to the beach barefoot all the time as do others. I walk my
dogs on these roads and they don't wear shoes either.




A legitimate complaint I see from those who want it paved, is the
amount of dust generated by traffic on these roads. I'm looking for
alternative solutions that would alleviate the dust problem, but not
involve paving over the roads.

thanks in advance


1. Oil
2. Calcium chloride spread on the roadway. Requires 2 or 3 treatments a
year.


Oil's already been rejected. Calcium chloride sounds interesting.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  #10  
Old September 14th 07, 11:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,491
Default Dusty road

on 9/14/2007 6:43 PM John Reber said the following:
willshak wrote:
on 9/14/2007 11:29 AM John Reber said the following:
Our community has approximately 3.2 miles of dirt roads which
over the years, maintenance has consisted of purchasing old road
milling's and spreading them over the road and rolling them in with
a big roller. Now there is a movement afoot to have the roads
paved, which I'm mostly against. In my view it will cause more
speeding through the community and will be hot to walk on or along
in the summer.


Both arguments are weak.
Are these private roads or public roads?
Are these roads within a community that has limited access?
Who is paying for the maintenance and paving of the roads, the
highway department or the residents of the community?
Why would the paved roads invite speeders, unless it is a shortcut
that no one uses now because it's not paved.
Unless your community walks on the road barefoot, the temp of the
road will not matter. I have a lot of people taking their morning
runs along the roads in my community. But they wear running shoes.


It's a private community with limited access maintained by the
residents. I'm not concerned about outsiders speeding through the
community, it's the kids that can't now because the road is too bumpy.


Speed bumps.
I walk down to the beach barefoot all the time as do others. I walk
my dogs on these roads and they don't wear shoes either.


I never saw a dog complain about a hot road. Besides, they should be
walking off the side of the road in case they have to do their business.
Dog trainers teach dog owners how to have their dogs 'heel' on the left
side. When you are walking on a roadway, you should be facing traffic,
therefore your dog would be on your left, near, or beyond the edge of
the roadway (does not apply in the UK, Japan, or other countries where
they drive on the 'wrong' side). :-)





A legitimate complaint I see from those who want it paved, is
the amount of dust generated by traffic on these roads. I'm looking
for alternative solutions that would alleviate the dust problem, but
not involve paving over the roads.

thanks in advance


1. Oil
2. Calcium chloride spread on the roadway. Requires 2 or 3 treatments
a year.


Oil's already been rejected. Calcium chloride sounds interesting.



--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To email, remove the double zeroes after @
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dusty house charlie Home Repair 14 December 14th 06 05:40 PM
Dusty house 2 Joe Home Repair 5 December 14th 06 04:20 PM
Dusty wet / dry vacuum john Woodworking 11 December 2nd 06 01:53 AM
dusty/dirty basement Ben Gold Home Repair 7 April 14th 05 09:33 PM
dusty condo, where is the filter? sam Home Repair 2 February 18th 05 12:21 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.