Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Dusty road

on 9/14/2007 11:29 AM John Reber said the following:
Our community has approximately 3.2 miles of dirt roads which over
the years, maintenance has consisted of purchasing old road milling's
and spreading them over the road and rolling them in with a big
roller. Now there is a movement afoot to have the roads paved, which
I'm mostly against. In my view it will cause more speeding through
the community and will be hot to walk on or along in the summer.

Both arguments are weak.
Are these private roads or public roads?
Are these roads within a community that has limited access?
Who is paying for the maintenance and paving of the roads, the highway
department or the residents of the community?
Why would the paved roads invite speeders, unless it is a shortcut that
no one uses now because it's not paved.
Unless your community walks on the road barefoot, the temp of the road
will not matter. I have a lot of people taking their morning runs along
the roads in my community. But they wear running shoes.

A legitimate complaint I see from those who want it paved, is the
amount of dust generated by traffic on these roads. I'm looking for
alternative solutions that would alleviate the dust problem, but not
involve paving over the roads.

thanks in advance

1. Oil
2. Calcium chloride spread on the roadway. Requires 2 or 3 treatments a
year.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY