Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 12v dc DVD player wired incorrectly ie. polarity reversed to a 12v dc battery pack

I had a working portable DVD player made by toshiba. That is until my wife yanked out the wires to its battery pack,
And Just like a woman, she can't tell the difference between red wires and black wires and which goes to what.
Im certain my 2 year old daughter wouldn't have had a problem wiring red to red and black to black. Yep leave it to the one
I picked to spend the rest of my life with. oh dang!!

Anyways, I am curious to know if my DVD player is completely trashed or whether it can be fixed easily enough or not.

DVD player was wired backwards, and it died, There is no sign of life. What does wiring 12v backwards do to electronics
and is this repairable?

Id greatly appreciate any advice on what I might be able to do, besides replacement of course, or giving it to the wife for
her christmas present.. hehehe
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

There may have been an intervening diode.
If not, which is more likely, it's probably time to go shopping.
After trying it with the wires properly placed.

On Aug 30, 12:08 am, cmply wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 12:08 am, cmply wrote:

[...]

Hi,
After checking the diode whether it is burnt open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 12:08 am, cmply wrote:

[...]

After checking the diode whether it is burnt open.- Hide quoted text -

I kinda doubt if it is a diode!
The purpose of a diode if fitted as part of the circuit is to prevent
the 12 volt electricity going through backwards!
Therefore a diode shouldn't (although it's not impossible) burn up.
Some equipment omits items like that although a diode cost only a few
cents, for economy.
You could open it up just to see if their is something obviously burnt
up (maybe an internal solidly soldered in fuse?) that could be cheap
to fix. Could be the on/off switch if fitted has burnt up?
Otherwise prob. not, (unfortunately) worth spending time or money on
it.
FWIW my neighbour who has bad luck with anything electrical managed to
do the same thing with a flashing beacon for his highway tractor
trailer. He blew the pi** out of the little printed circuit board
inside by hooking it up backwards; and it don't flash no more! Not
sure if it's fixable anyway.
If you need 'at home' examples of how 'not to hook things up' here's a
couple.
One would not set up a casserole to cook a roast and then put it in
the fridge to cook would you?
One wouldn't put on a bra (or most any garments) inside out or
backwards, would you?
One wouldn't drive down the street or hang a picture on a wall
backwards or upside down?
Try to bang in a nail with its point outwards; the wrong way.
Use salt instead of sugar? Read a book/newspaper backwards, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 12:08 am, cmply wrote:
[...]

Superheros wear their underwear on the outside.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 12:08 am, cmply wrote:

[...]

Uh, fuses and on/off switches don't give a rat's ass which way the
electrons flow. I'd look for the diode as others have said, or other
problems near the power input, like a blown electrolytic or a cracked
solder joint from the strain of jerking on the wires. You can easily
trace the power with a voltmeter. This is definitely repairable, cheap
or free if you do it yourself, probably not worth it if you have to take
it somewhere unless it's an expensive piece of equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cmply" wrote in message

Anyways, I am curious to know if my DVD player is completely trashed or

whether it can be fixed easily enough or not.

DVD player was wired backwards, and it died, There is no sign of life.

What does wiring 12v backwards do to electronics and is this repairable?

In the good old days, most (if not all) devices using polarized power
supplies, had a blocking diode, to prevent failure in case of polarity
reversal, regardless how it happend. Such a diode costs almost nothing in
mfg. Its job was to prevent reverse current flow, which in most cases kills
the electronics.

Today, as if by colusion, most devices are not protected. It's another way
to get you to buy a new gadget. Once posted this question to an electronics
group to see if it's now a common "design feature" to omit the 1 cent diode
and hot flamed for being stupid.

Extreme case of penny pinching - do not buy from the same company. Your DVD
is most likely thrashed.

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RichK" wrote in message
. ..

"cmply" wrote in message

Anyways, I am curious to know if my DVD player is completely trashed or

whether it can be fixed easily enough or not.

DVD player was wired backwards, and it died, There is no sign of life.

What does wiring 12v backwards do to electronics "SAVES ENERGY"

and is this repairable?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 12:08 am, cmply wrote:
[...]

You probably smoked a semiconductor or many.
Odds are you can't repair it yourself.
To idiot proof dc powered devices a neat trick is to install a bridge
rectifier in line with the battery leads that way no matter how the
battery is connected the circuitry recieves the correct polarity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 12:08 am, cmply wrote:

[...]

It can burn up if rever current is too mcuh. I am saying from experience!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon (on backup computer) wrote:
More likely burnt closed, or burnt short.

Hmmm,
The diode can burn up if reverse current is too much, I am saying this
from experience. Believe me!
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon (on backup computer) wrote:

More likely burnt closed, or burnt short.

Hmmm,
The diode can burn up if reverse current is too much, I am saying this
from experience. Believe me!

Not much reverse current will flow through most diodes. There's no
indication he exceeded any peak voltage ratings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Stormin Mormon (on backup computer) wrote:

More likely burnt closed, or burnt short.

Hmmm,
The diode can burn up if reverse current is too much, I am saying this
from experience. Believe me!

Not much reverse current will flow through most diodes. There's no
indication he exceeded any peak voltage ratings.

Hi,
Some diode has low PIV! Theory and real world situation is two different
thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Stormin Mormon (on backup computer) wrote:
Some DC devices put a diode (backwards) on the power input leads. So that if
you wire the device backwards, it acts like a big short. Blows fuse, and
protects the electronics. Some circuits call this a "protector diode".

That would, of course, be _forward_ current.