Posted to alt.home.repair
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default 12v dc DVD player wired incorrectly ie. polarity reversed to a 12v dc battery pack

On Aug 30, 12:08 am, cmply wrote:
I had a working portable DVD player made by toshiba. That is until my wife yanked out the wires to its battery pack,
And Just like a woman, she can't tell the difference between red wires and black wires and which goes to what.
Im certain my 2 year old daughter wouldn't have had a problem wiring red to red and black to black. Yep leave it to the one
I picked to spend the rest of my life with. oh dang!!

Anyways, I am curious to know if my DVD player is completely trashed or whether it can be fixed easily enough or not.

DVD player was wired backwards, and it died, There is no sign of life. What does wiring 12v backwards do to electronics
and is this repairable?

Id greatly appreciate any advice on what I might be able to do, besides replacement of course, or giving it to the wife for
her christmas present.. hehehe
Thanks

You probably smoked a semiconductor or many.
Odds are you can't repair it yourself.
To idiot proof dc powered devices a neat trick is to install a bridge
rectifier in line with the battery leads that way no matter how the
battery is connected the circuitry recieves the correct polarity.