Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK RichK is offline

Default 12v dc DVD player wired incorrectly ie. polarity reversed to a 12v dc battery pack

"cmply" wrote in message

Anyways, I am curious to know if my DVD player is completely trashed or

whether it can be fixed easily enough or not.

DVD player was wired backwards, and it died, There is no sign of life.

What does wiring 12v backwards do to electronics and is this repairable?

In the good old days, most (if not all) devices using polarized power
supplies, had a blocking diode, to prevent failure in case of polarity
reversal, regardless how it happend. Such a diode costs almost nothing in
mfg. Its job was to prevent reverse current flow, which in most cases kills
the electronics.

Today, as if by colusion, most devices are not protected. It's another way
to get you to buy a new gadget. Once posted this question to an electronics
group to see if it's now a common "design feature" to omit the 1 cent diode
and hot flamed for being stupid.

Extreme case of penny pinching - do not buy from the same company. Your DVD
is most likely thrashed.

RichK