2-cycle engine quits when hot

Old May 13th 07, 01:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default 2-cycle engine quits when hot

Hi,

I have a McCullogh weed whacker that's about 9 years old. It's been
running fine until the end of last season. Since then, it developed a
problem where it quits when hot. It also wouldn't run with choke in
"warm" position - it seems to, well, choke whenever I push on gas
lever. It does run with choke in "cold" position - until it dies.

I suspected that I had a bad fuel mix, so I replaced it with clean,
well-measured fuel / oil mix. Also, the governor screw had a notch on
the end from many years of work, so I turned it by 1/2 turn.
Nevertheless, it still quits. Any ideas ?

Thanks !!!

Old May 13th 07, 02:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"Passerby" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a McCullogh weed whacker that's about 9 years old. It's been
running fine until the end of last season. Since then, it developed a
problem where it quits when hot. It also wouldn't run with choke in
"warm" position - it seems to, well, choke whenever I push on gas
lever. It does run with choke in "cold" position - until it dies.

I suspected that I had a bad fuel mix, so I replaced it with clean,
well-measured fuel / oil mix. Also, the governor screw had a notch on
the end from many years of work, so I turned it by 1/2 turn.
Nevertheless, it still quits. Any ideas ?

Thanks !!!

I'd clean the cooling fins real good - and the air filter - then try it
again. Have you adjusted the carb jets ?

Old May 13th 07, 03:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Srgnt Billko wrote:

I'd clean the cooling fins real good - and the air filter - then try it
again. Have you adjusted the carb jets ?

Ditto that. And don't monkey with the carburetor.

Two years ago I took a old mower to the local repair shop. Some kids
were assigned to make it run continuously but they failed 3 times.
There was lots of adjusting of the carb screws but nothing helped.
Finally, on the 4th trip the old guy that owned the shop spent about 10
minutes and had it running fine -- he just cleaned the fins with an air
blast. Total: $64.
Old May 14th 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Dirty fins lead to overheating. Clean with detergent, hot water,
tooth brush.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:

Old May 14th 07, 02:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 May 2007 05:51:24 -0700, Passerby wrote:

Hi,

I have a McCullogh weed whacker that's about 9 years old. It's been
running fine until the end of last season. Since then, it developed a
problem where it quits when hot. It also wouldn't run with choke in
"warm" position - it seems to, well, choke whenever I push on gas
lever. It does run with choke in "cold" position - until it dies.

I suspected that I had a bad fuel mix, so I replaced it with clean,
well-measured fuel / oil mix. Also, the governor screw had a notch on
the end from many years of work, so I turned it by 1/2 turn.
Nevertheless, it still quits. Any ideas ?

You might check the 'spark suppressor' screen on the exhaust. I had one
that got loaded up with carbon, and it acted like you describe.

Old May 14th 07, 05:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
On 13 May 2007 05:51:24 -0700, Passerby wrote:

Hi,

I have a McCullogh weed whacker that's about 9 years old. It's been
running fine until the end of last season. Since then, it developed a
problem where it quits when hot. It also wouldn't run with choke in
"warm" position - it seems to, well, choke whenever I push on gas
lever. It does run with choke in "cold" position - until it dies.

I suspected that I had a bad fuel mix, so I replaced it with clean,
well-measured fuel / oil mix. Also, the governor screw had a notch on
the end from many years of work, so I turned it by 1/2 turn.
Nevertheless, it still quits. Any ideas ?

You might check the 'spark suppressor' screen on the exhaust. I had one
that got loaded up with carbon, and it acted like you describe.

I fixed a chain saw once by scrapeing the spark arrestor screen, opening up
the holes in the mesh. It made a huge difference.

Bob