Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default 2-cycle engine quits when hot

On 13 May 2007 05:51:24 -0700, Passerby wrote:

Hi,

I have a McCullogh weed whacker that's about 9 years old. It's been
running fine until the end of last season. Since then, it developed a
problem where it quits when hot. It also wouldn't run with choke in
"warm" position - it seems to, well, choke whenever I push on gas
lever. It does run with choke in "cold" position - until it dies.

I suspected that I had a bad fuel mix, so I replaced it with clean,
well-measured fuel / oil mix. Also, the governor screw had a notch on
the end from many years of work, so I turned it by 1/2 turn.
Nevertheless, it still quits. Any ideas ?

You might check the 'spark suppressor' screen on the exhaust. I had one
that got loaded up with carbon, and it acted like you describe.