Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing Laundry Sink in basement, do I need a sink pump?

I would like to put a laundry sink in the basement (w/ the washer and
dryer which is already there) but need to figure out how I am going to
drain the sink. I thought I could just piggy back onto the washer,
use the same water and drain. I then realized that the bottom of my
sink will be about six inches lower than the top of the lowest point I
can make the drain intake. If my theory is correct, the sink will
drain to this point and stop since water naturally levels. I'm not a
physics expert but is there a way around installing a pump for just
six inches? I thought maybe?? a check valve would work, but somehow
doubt it..... My main reservation agaist the pump is the cost - ~
$200. I had hoped this would be a cheap and simple project. Any
ideas are greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

g,

I'm not clear on what you mean when you write " the top of the lowest
point I can make the drain intake". The washer should go to pipe which has a
trap. Is your sink lower than this trap?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
| I'm not a| physics expert but is there a way around installing a pump
for just
| six inches?

if you only have 6 inches
you need a pump.

I thought maybe?? a check valve would work, but somehow
| doubt it..... My main reservation agaist the pump is the cost - ~
| $200.

only 24.95 here
http://www.kittenstoyroom.com/xcart/...-p-1-c-27.html

I had hoped this would be a cheap and simple project. Any
| ideas are greatly appreciated.

hope you can appreciate MY IDEAS

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
How about a six inch platform to set the sink on?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to put a laundry sink in the basement (w/ the washer and
dryer which is already there) but need to figure out how I am going to
drain the sink. I thought I could just piggy back onto the washer,
use the same water and drain. I then realized that the bottom of my
sink will be about six inches lower than the top of the lowest point I
can make the drain intake. If my theory is correct, the sink will
drain to this point and stop since water naturally levels. I'm not a
physics expert but is there a way around installing a pump for just
six inches? I thought maybe?? a check valve would work, but somehow
doubt it..... My main reservation agaist the pump is the cost - ~
$200. I had hoped this would be a cheap and simple project. Any
ideas are greatly appreciated.

this is how I did it sink:down to trap over to " t " spliced
into washer drain at a level just below sink bottom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 6:41 pm, "David Martel" wrote:
g,

I'm not clear on what you mean when you write " the top of the lowest
point I can make the drain intake". The washer should go to pipe which has a
trap. Is your sink lower than this trap?

Dave M.

Yes it is and I cannot raise the sink on a platform since my wife is
short and woud not be able to reach the bottome of the sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 2:55 pm, wrote:
I would like to put a laundry sink in the basement (w/ the washer and
dryer which is already there) but need to figure out how I am going to
drain the sink. I thought I could just piggy back onto the washer,
use the same water and drain. I then realized that the bottom of my
sink will be about six inches lower than the top of the lowest point I
can make the drain intake. If my theory is correct, the sink will
drain to this point and stop since water naturally levels. I'm not a
physics expert but is there a way around installing a pump for just
six inches? I thought maybe?? a check valve would work, but somehow
doubt it..... My main reservation agaist the pump is the cost - ~
$200. I had hoped this would be a cheap and simple project. Any
ideas are greatly appreciated.

Have a sump pump? Drain into that, mine does. Might not be legal
though.

Harry K