Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving

Default How to tell you have water in your gas

A new one for me. Grabbed my utility can to put gas in the snow blower
and it rattled! Figured the only thing could be was frozen water.
Temp at time was 22 degrees coming off 2 days of near zero and low
teens. I decanted all the gas into clean cans and filled the blower
from them. Then came the fun of shaking ice chunks out of the can.
Got a bunch of them, must hae been a small cup of water in the bottom
of the can.

Will be filling it again tomorrown and picking up some 'Heet" to add to
the PU, car and gas can.

I recall cleaning that can out last year (may have been the fall
before). Guess I have to watch it a bit closer.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving
Joe Joe is offline

Harry K wrote:
A new one for me. Grabbed my utility can to put gas in the snow blower
and it rattled! Figured the only thing could be was frozen water.
Temp at time was 22 degrees coming off 2 days of near zero and low
teens. I decanted all the gas into clean cans and filled the blower
from them. Then came the fun of shaking ice chunks out of the can.
Got a bunch of them, must hae been a small cup of water in the bottom
of the can.

Will be filling it again tomorrown and picking up some 'Heet" to add to
the PU, car and gas can.

I recall cleaning that can out last year (may have been the fall
before). Guess I have to watch it a bit closer.

Harry K

An old timer once told me that if you have more than a teaspoon of
water in your your gas it came from the gas station and can't be
condensation. Reason being, he said, sloppy station operators fail to
check tanks for water in the bottom every day. These days ethanol is
popular as an additive, so stations are forced to take better care of
their product, as they could lose up to 10% of it if water extracts the
ethanol.
The OT also advised never buy gas from a station at the bottom of a
hill, and never gas up first thing in the morning. In the winter plowed
snow can turn into funnels over the tank fillers and the snow melt runs
right into the tanks.
Based on personal experience, IsoHeet is only a bit pricier tha Heet,
and far better for fuel systems. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving

Harry K wrote:

A new one for me. Grabbed my utility can to put gas in the snow blower
and it rattled! Figured the only thing could be was frozen water.
Temp at time was 22 degrees coming off 2 days of near zero and low
teens. I decanted all the gas into clean cans and filled the blower
from them. Then came the fun of shaking ice chunks out of the can.
Got a bunch of them, must hae been a small cup of water in the bottom
of the can.

Just thaw the chunks out with a blow torch.

That's a joke.

;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
definition: recursion; see recursion.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Harry K wrote:

A new one for me. Grabbed my utility can to put gas in the snow blower
and it rattled! Figured the only thing could be was frozen water.
Temp at time was 22 degrees coming off 2 days of near zero and low
teens. I decanted all the gas into clean cans and filled the blower
from them. Then came the fun of shaking ice chunks out of the can.
Got a bunch of them, must hae been a small cup of water in the bottom
of the can.

Just thaw the chunks out with a blow torch.

That's a joke.

;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
definition: recursion; see recursion.

But it would result in a clean tank (remnant).

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

Just thaw the chunks out with a blow torch.

That's a joke.

I once did have to thaw a pickup truck's fuel line with a propane torch
to get some ice out of the line.

Veeeerrrrryyyyy carefully.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving

Move can to warmer area, and then pour the (now liquid) chunks out.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
Then came the fun of shaking ice chunks out of the can.
Got a bunch of them, must hae been a small cup of water in the

bottom
of the can.

Just thaw the chunks out with a blow torch.

That's a joke.

;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
definition: recursion; see recursion.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving

I've been catching the news, the central US area is really being
pounded by some nasty snow storms. Time to stock up on Heet, snow
brushes, etc. Gonna need em.

First I've heard of frozen water in a gascan, though it does make
sense. At least it's not liquid water pouring into your snow blower so
it can settle in the carb bowl, and kill the machine.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
A new one for me. Grabbed my utility can to put gas in the snow
blower
and it rattled! Figured the only thing could be was frozen water.
Temp at time was 22 degrees coming off 2 days of near zero and low
teens. I decanted all the gas into clean cans and filled the blower
from them. Then came the fun of shaking ice chunks out of the can.
Got a bunch of them, must hae been a small cup of water in the bottom
of the can.

Will be filling it again tomorrown and picking up some 'Heet" to add
the PU, car and gas can.

I recall cleaning that can out last year (may have been the fall
before). Guess I have to watch it a bit closer.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been catching the news, the central US area is really being
pounded by some nasty snow storms. Time to stock up on Heet, snow
brushes, etc. Gonna need em.

First I've heard of frozen water in a gascan, though it does make
sense. At least it's not liquid water pouring into your snow blower so
it can settle in the carb bowl, and kill the machine.

--

Christopher A. Young
I recall cleaning that can out last year (may have been the fall
before). Guess I have to watch it a bit closer.

Harry K

I had never thought about it before but it is quit logical and fully to
be expected.

Carb bowl!? Carb bowl! This is an ancient Brigs...well not all that
ancient, probably circa 1980s but then the technology of those engines
was developed back in the teens or 20s and I don't think it was ever
upgraded.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving

Still works nicely. I guess the guys back then knew what they were
doing.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

I had never thought about it before but it is quit logical and fully
be expected.

Carb bowl!? Carb bowl! This is an ancient Brigs...well not all that
ancient, probably circa 1980s but then the technology of those engines
was developed back in the teens or 20s and I don't think it was ever
upgraded.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.driving

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Still works nicely. I guess the guys back then knew what they were
doing.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

I had never thought about it before but it is quit logical and fully
be expected.

Carb bowl!? Carb bowl! This is an ancient Brigs...well not all that
ancient, probably circa 1980s but then the technology of those engines
was developed back in the teens or 20s and I don't think it was ever
upgraded.

Harry K

Back when my '64 Dodge was almost new, the frozen water in the fuel
pump holed the diaphram. Luckily the FLAPS was within walking distance
that cold day.