Posted to alt.home.repair

Default treated wood on sills

I have framed about 98% of my basement (1300sqft)and did not use any
treated wood. I used ujntreated 2x4's throughout and ramset the 2x4 into
the floor about every 16 inchs and ramset the 2x4's into the the concrete
walls about every 16 inch apart on the horizontal and about 3 feet apart
on the vertical (basically I have a tic-tac-toe design in the framing with
two studs going horizontal in the back of the uprights). The walls will
also be secured into the rafters. I did put a vapor barrier and I will be
using the moisture resistant insulation.

My question is: Do I need to rip out all the 2x4 on the concrete floor and
replace them with treated wood?

Once the work is done I will use a dehumidifier in the summer. I live in
Chicago if that means anything.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

goose22 wrote:
I have framed about 98% of my basement (1300sqft)and did not use any
treated wood. I used ujntreated 2x4's throughout and ramset the 2x4 into
the floor about every 16 inchs and ramset the 2x4's into the the concrete
walls about every 16 inch apart on the horizontal and about 3 feet apart
on the vertical (basically I have a tic-tac-toe design in the framing with
two studs going horizontal in the back of the uprights). The walls will
also be secured into the rafters. I did put a vapor barrier and I will be
using the moisture resistant insulation.

My question is: Do I need to rip out all the 2x4 on the concrete floor and
replace them with treated wood?

Once the work is done I will use a dehumidifier in the summer. I live in
Chicago if that means anything.

Thanks

You can treat the wood with Cuprinol solution letting it wick in and
under your 2 x 4's any place where moisture will likely be present.
That should make it impervious the cellulose eating molds and such.
Read the label and follow directions. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"goose22" wrote in message

My question is: Do I need to rip out all the 2x4 on the concrete floor and
replace them with treated wood?

Once the work is done I will use a dehumidifier in the summer. I live in
Chicago if that means anything.

Before pressure treaded wood was available, millions of homeowners did
exactly what you did and never had a problem. While PT may be better, I
don't think it is needed in most cases. Keep the basement dry and you
should be good for many happy years of use.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"goose22" wrote in message
news:d613d6e2aab085e2ba47ea7deb5c81c8@homerepairli ve.com...
I have framed about 98% of my basement (1300sqft)and did not use any
treated wood. I used ujntreated 2x4's throughout and ramset the 2x4 into
the floor about every 16 inchs and ramset the 2x4's into the the concrete
walls about every 16 inch apart on the horizontal and about 3 feet apart
on the vertical (basically I have a tic-tac-toe design in the framing with
two studs going horizontal in the back of the uprights). The walls will
also be secured into the rafters. I did put a vapor barrier and I will be
using the moisture resistant insulation.

My question is: Do I need to rip out all the 2x4 on the concrete floor and
replace them with treated wood?

Once the work is done I will use a dehumidifier in the summer. I live in
Chicago if that means anything.

Thanks!

I am no real athority on this, but I always use treated wood where ever it
touches concrete.
I thought treated wood gaurded against rot, but recently read that that is
not the case. The reason for treated wood is to prevent insect infestation;
termites, ants, etc. It does nothing to retard rotting.
This came from an article on lumber, saw mills, and was in a building
magazine.
Was a surprise to me.