Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement drain backs up sewage

We had a new house built, moved in Jan 1, 2006. Day 1 we took
possession, I was using the utility sink in the basement and the
basement floor drain approx 7 feet from the sink, overflowed on the
basement floor what looked like pieces of paper and small wood chips. I
recalled before taking posession my husband and I looking around the
house and it appeared the basement was hosed down. I figured the paper
and wood chips coming back up the drain were debris the contractor was
too lazy to scoop up and he just hosed down the drain. I figured the
material would rot and pass thru and we didn't pursue it with the
builder. This has happened several times since but not every time we
use that utility sink in the basement. As the water comes up the drain
in 5 - 10 minutes it goes back down the drain. Then the drain seems to
be working fine. Yesterday my daughter was using the drain when she
yelled for me to come to the basement - RAW sewage was overflowing from
that drain whenever she turned on the utility sink faucet. There was no
mistaking what it was by the appearance and smell. This was fresh
sewage by the size of the matter and undigested food, not just a brown
liquid, if you get what I mean. As usual in 5-10 minutes the drain
emptied. I called the city water dept and a local plumber, both told me
to call the builder. We have not had a good relationship or confidence
in this builder as this is by far not the first problem with the house.
The builder rep and their plumber are coming tomorrow. I'd like some
info to be a little informed when they come. The builder always has an
excuse and says things are fine or that's how they are suppose to be
etc. He's a scammer and liar. Any insight or info so I am a little more
prepared? Thanx in advance.

betty

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
We had a new house built, moved in Jan 1, 2006. Day 1 we took
possession, I was using the utility sink in the basement and the
basement floor drain approx 7 feet from the sink, overflowed on the
basement floor what looked like pieces of paper and small wood chips. I
recalled before taking posession my husband and I looking around the
house and it appeared the basement was hosed down. I figured the paper
and wood chips coming back up the drain were debris the contractor was
too lazy to scoop up and he just hosed down the drain. I figured the
material would rot and pass thru and we didn't pursue it with the
builder.

Most houses have at least 1 year warranty. Complain now before that time
runs out. You already see the error of not saying anything, so don't
prolong it. It was not the contractor that was lazy, it was his low paid,
low skilled workers.

I called the city water dept and a local plumber, both told me
to call the builder. We have not had a good relationship or confidence
in this builder as this is by far not the first problem with the house.
The builder rep and their plumber are coming tomorrow. I'd like some
info to be a little informed when they come.

Not much to know. It is clogged, fix it. The plumber will probably snake
it out and clear the debris. It may be another problem, such as a joint
gone bad or broken in the line, but is sounds typical of a clog. Half hour
work for the plumber.

The builder always has an
excuse and says things are fine or that's how they are suppose to be
etc. He's a scammer and liar. Any insight or info so I am a little more
prepared?

Sadly, many are that way. Thee is no denying that the drain is not working
though, so he should take care of it. At least give him that chance first.
Since he is showing up with a plumber he is taking the correct steps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

As others said, get with the builder. A friend bought a new house that
had two sewer lines that were to connect outside the house. The
contractor had not hooked up one of them!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rich256 wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Yes, if you don't squawk, nothing will