Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adding radiant heat

I have a family room addition over a slab that is currently heated by a
boiler unit. The register is perhaps 4-5 feet in length. Normally,
its 6-10 degrees cooler in that room than the other rooms.

Here are a couple of variables to throw in.

I am adding a bedroom to the west of this room, thus this room will no
longer be exterior on three sides, just two. A large and very leaky
picture window unit is being replaced with a wall and a door leading to
the new, well insulated bedroom. Four small (but older) window units
will remain in the family room.

Will the fact that this room will be much better insulated from the
west due to the new addition warm it up? My HVAC guy says its a colder
room b/c the boiler register sits on an interior wall now.

I could get my electrician to wire an additional heater in this room
for probably 300 bucks if he is here anyway running wire in the new
addition.

On this cool morning (30F outside) it is 72 in the kitchen, and 66 in
the family room. Maybe this is not a huge difference but it feels cool
to me.

Should I have him throw another unit up to warm up the room or will it
warm up becoming an interior room?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Run your costs per Btu for Ng and electric if thats what you have. Where
I live electric is 50% higher than Ng and going higher. Consider also
better insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mrbeanfan wrote:
I have a family room addition over a slab that is currently heated by
a boiler unit. The register is perhaps 4-5 feet in length. Normally,
its 6-10 degrees cooler in that room than the other rooms.

Here are a couple of variables to throw in.

I am adding a bedroom to the west of this room, thus this room will no
longer be exterior on three sides, just two. A large and very leaky
picture window unit is being replaced with a wall and a door leading
to the new, well insulated bedroom. Four small (but older) window
units will remain in the family room.

My guess is you may have enough right there to account for the
difference.

Will the new room be heated with the same boiler unit and will it have
an extension from the existing pipe or will it have it's own home run pipes?

Will the fact that this room will be much better insulated from the
west due to the new addition warm it up? My HVAC guy says its a
colder room b/c the boiler register sits on an interior wall now.

He may be right. The location on an outside wall would make it slightly
less efficient, but it would also tend to make it more comfortable so that
would be a trade-off IMO. However he is there and I am not. He also, I
hope, has a lot more experience in hot water heating than I do.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why not just put in a bigger radiator, Sure the addition will help but I
dought it will solve the issue. I hope you know what insulation R values
are optimal for your area and follow it, dont go by code minimuns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The new room is not practical to heat with hot water radiant--no way to
get the pipes over there, and also the registers are not set up to
easily add more zones. so it will be electric cove heat.

you are right I think, might well be enough to warm it up with the
elimination of the old and leaky picture window unit. and it doesnt
have to be 80 out there. we normally sit with sweatshirts and sweaters
on in that room.

Joseph Meehan wrote:
mrbeanfan wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do you figure your cost per BTU for natural gas and electric?

Posted to alt.home.repair

it is my experience that ANYTHING built over a slab, will be cold. (i'm in
wisconsin)
we finally surrendered and raised the floor and insulated underneath. the
place is the same temp as the rest of the house now.

--

IF you are still republican................
http://www.petitiononline.com/mmflint/petition.html

ups.com...

New thermostat ~~~AAA~~~ Home Repair 5 March 1st 06 02:20 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Steam Heat Costs [email protected] Home Repair 23 January 18th 06 02:34 AM
Electric radiant floor heat TP Home Repair 5 November 3rd 05 12:32 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM