Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Got A Little Workout -- Sort of

Winds knocked out the power about noon. We didn't have a clue as to
how much propane is burned during an outage, so we scaled back the oil
furnace, shut-off computer, kept the TV off. No lights. Power was
out four hours. We did use water (well is powered by electric) and
open the refrigerator as usual. Popcorn popper was used for a few
minutes. Temp outside was about 50 but bright and sunny so the
furnace came on only once for a short period.

Anyway, the needle on the propane gauge didn't move at all. Guess
this wasn't really a good test and we still don't know how much
propane is burned during a typical outage.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The info for the genset should tell you how many gallons per hour at full
and half, the unit uses. If you don't have the info, just google a similar
sized unit

"Ditzy Blonde" wrote in message
Winds knocked out the power about noon. We didn't have a clue as to
how much propane is burned during an outage, so we scaled back the oil
furnace, shut-off computer, kept the TV off. No lights. Power was
out four hours. We did use water (well is powered by electric) and
open the refrigerator as usual. Popcorn popper was used for a few
minutes. Temp outside was about 50 but bright and sunny so the
furnace came on only once for a short period.

Anyway, the needle on the propane gauge didn't move at all. Guess
this wasn't really a good test and we still don't know how much
propane is burned during a typical outage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My generator (6000 watt) will run for 6 hours on a tank (4.5 gals) of
gas at half load. 5 Hours at full load. During the weekend power
outage (21 hours) I ran it several times to try and keep the
refrigerator cold. It will also run on propane but I have avoided doing
this. I would rather save the propane for auxiliary heating.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
My generator (6000 watt) will run for 6 hours on a tank (4.5 gals) of
gas at half load. 5 Hours at full load. During the weekend power
outage (21 hours) I ran it several times to try and keep the
refrigerator cold. It will also run on propane but I have avoided doing
this. I would rather save the propane for auxiliary heating.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Mine will also run 5 hours on a tank at full load, but my tank is only 1
gal. Okay, the gen is only 1.6kw, but it is just right for the refrigerator
and furnace.
If it could use propane, I would certainly use that over gas. No more
worrying if it has gone bad!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
My generator (6000 watt) will run for 6 hours on a tank (4.5 gals) of
gas at half load. 5 Hours at full load. During the weekend power
outage (21 hours) I ran it several times to try and keep the
refrigerator cold. It will also run on propane but I have avoided doing
this. I would rather save the propane for auxiliary heating.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Mine will also run 5 hours on a tank at full load, but my tank is only 1
gal. Okay, the gen is only 1.6kw, but it is just right for the refrigerator
and furnace.
If it could use propane, I would certainly use that over gas. No more
worrying if it has gone bad!

If you use Sta-Bil or equivalent in your gas you won't have any worries
or problems. Just empty your reserve cans into your car once a year and
refill them.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ditzy Blonde wrote:
Winds knocked out the power about noon. We didn't have a clue as to
how much propane is burned during an outage, so we scaled back the oil
furnace, shut-off computer, kept the TV off. No lights. Power was
out four hours. We did use water (well is powered by electric) and
open the refrigerator as usual. Popcorn popper was used for a few
minutes. Temp outside was about 50 but bright and sunny so the
furnace came on only once for a short period.

Anyway, the needle on the propane gauge didn't move at all. Guess
this wasn't really a good test and we still don't know how much
propane is burned during a typical outage.

Or the guage is broken.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik asked:

What's a "typical outage"?

Seems to me that varies with how,who
and where.

In my area the usual outage is 2 to 4 hours. This past weekend was 21
hours. I would guess that most of the vulnerable trees and limbs are
down now so the rest of the winter should see 2 to 4 hour outages.