Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing glue from bricks.

I'm remodeling our family room. The house was built in the mid 60's.
Sometime in the early 70's the previous owner added a family room onto
the house. The house is a brick ranch and the contractor built 3 walls
and roofed it and they left the other wall brick. The contractor glued
a wooden valance to the brick, and now I want to removed the valance
because it had to be replaced due to age. I'm having a hard time
removing the glue. It's black and it almost looks like dried tar. Any
ideas on how to remove the glue without doing harm to the bricks?

--
cudagtx
Posted to alt.home.repair

yea...cover them with drywall it will not harm the bricks at all....

but seriously this stuff does not come off bricks. Its not like tar it
IS tar. Even sand blasting does not work for this because the tar is
still soft enough to take the brunt of the sand and all you get are
pockets of holes that are really inconsistant which looks horriabe. And
no you cant use a chemical remover because as it loosens the tar the
liquid seaps into the joints and stains them FOREVER..

cudagtx wrote:
I'm remodeling our family room. The house was built in the mid 60's.
Sometime in the early 70's the previous owner added a family room onto
the house. The house is a brick ranch and the contractor built 3 walls
and roofed it and they left the other wall brick. The contractor glued
a wooden valance to the brick, and now I want to removed the valance
because it had to be replaced due to age. I'm having a hard time
removing the glue. It's black and it almost looks like dried tar. Any
ideas on how to remove the glue without doing harm to the bricks?

--
cudagtx

removing bricks from a wall? CJATE Home Repair 4 November 29th 05 06:42 PM
What to do with these bricks? Charlie S. Home Repair 12 July 15th 05 04:10 PM
Titebond Glue CNT Woodworking 9 May 19th 05 03:53 AM
Compressor powered glue applicator Eric Anderson Woodworking 16 December 24th 04 08:20 PM
Segmented Bowl Glue Line Creep Ken Vickery Woodturning 2 September 20th 03 01:38 PM