Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outside AC unit Screeching

My 20 year old outside unit was screeching this evening. This happened
once before a few weeks back. At that time it stopped on its own.
Tonight I eventually turned off the AC after a minute or so of the
noise. There is a slight mechanical burning smell at the unit itself.

There is nothing inside blocking and it is turning but entirely too
painful sounding to leave on.

Are there things to try before calling someone out?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 20 year old outside unit was screeching this evening. This happened
once before a few weeks back. At that time it stopped on its own.
Tonight I eventually turned off the AC after a minute or so of the
noise. There is a slight mechanical burning smell at the unit itself.

There is nothing inside blocking and it is turning but entirely too
painful sounding to leave on.

Are there things to try before calling someone out?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Can only hazard a guess from here. I'd say the fan motor bearings are toast.
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are there things to try before calling someone out?

Condenser fan motor bearings are bad. About a $100 part. The smell is
from the motor overheating because the fan blade is slowed down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dissemble unit, oil berrings.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 20 year old outside unit was screeching this evening. This happened
once before a few weeks back. At that time it stopped on its own.
Tonight I eventually turned off the AC after a minute or so of the
noise. There is a slight mechanical burning smell at the unit itself.

There is nothing inside blocking and it is turning but entirely too
painful sounding to leave on.

Are there things to try before calling someone out?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Posted to alt.home.repair

Berrings?

Maybe you mean bearings? Which, most modern outdoor condenser motors are
sealed and may not provide oil passage's for oiling.

If your condenser is over 10 years old, it is likely time for a new motor.
Call your friendly neighborhood air conditioning repair guy...

--
Zyp

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Dissemble unit, oil berrings.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 20 year old outside unit was screeching this evening. This happened
once before a few weeks back. At that time it stopped on its own.
Tonight I eventually turned off the AC after a minute or so of the
noise. There is a slight mechanical burning smell at the unit itself.

There is nothing inside blocking and it is turning but entirely too
painful sounding to leave on.

Are there things to try before calling someone out?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the catch. Bearings, it is. Mithpellers of the world,
untie!

I've oiled some motors that weren't really designed to be oiled. But,
however, some worked and some didn't. I've also had to hand fashion a
fan for a piece of equipment when needed.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Zephyr" wrote in message
news:U6GdnT3wb54IWKrYnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
Berrings?

Maybe you mean bearings? Which, most modern outdoor condenser motors
are
sealed and may not provide oil passage's for oiling.

If your condenser is over 10 years old, it is likely time for a new
motor.
Call your friendly neighborhood air conditioning repair guy...

--
Zyp

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Dissemble unit, oil berrings.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

ups.com...

mosquito magnet yourname Home Repair 8 August 5th 06 03:17 PM
AC window unit keeps blowing fuses nycknayme Home Repair 5 July 29th 06 06:57 PM
AC unit stops cooling but keeps running [email protected] Home Repair 6 July 14th 06 02:57 AM
New AC unit comparable? [email protected] Home Repair 8 February 7th 05 07:19 AM
Central air condenser unit failing? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 3 July 15th 03 12:48 AM