Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outside AC unit Screeching

Thanks for the catch. Bearings, it is. Mithpellers of the world,
untie!

I've oiled some motors that weren't really designed to be oiled. But,
however, some worked and some didn't. I've also had to hand fashion a
fan for a piece of equipment when needed.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Zephyr" wrote in message
news:U6GdnT3wb54IWKrYnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
Berrings?

Maybe you mean bearings? Which, most modern outdoor condenser motors
are
sealed and may not provide oil passage's for oiling.

If your condenser is over 10 years old, it is likely time for a new
motor.
Call your friendly neighborhood air conditioning repair guy...

--
Zyp

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Dissemble unit, oil berrings.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 20 year old outside unit was screeching this evening. This

happened
once before a few weeks back. At that time it stopped on its own.
Tonight I eventually turned off the AC after a minute or so of the
noise. There is a slight mechanical burning smell at the unit

itself.

There is nothing inside blocking and it is turning but entirely too
painful sounding to leave on.

Are there things to try before calling someone out?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jennifer