Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Damage to Drywall

I need to repair some water damage to a drywall ceiling and walls. I
repaired the source of the roof leak last weekend that caused the
damage. There is a small (~0.5") hole in the ceiling with some black
around the hole. There are also some blackened streaks down the wall
near the hole and some of the joint tape is coming up. My thought was a
simple repair where I just put mesh tape over the hole, cut away the
loose joint tape, mud it and paint it. This as opposed to cutting out
the offending drywall and replacing it. I'm guessing the black is mold?
I would appreciate this group's opinion on my plan.

BRW

Posted to alt.home.repair

i'd rip it out and replace it, especially cause i'd want to see what's
underneath...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
s.com...
I need to repair some water damage to a drywall ceiling and walls. I
repaired the source of the roof leak last weekend that caused the
damage. There is a small (~0.5") hole in the ceiling with some black
around the hole. There are also some blackened streaks down the wall
near the hole and some of the joint tape is coming up. My thought was a
simple repair where I just put mesh tape over the hole, cut away the
loose joint tape, mud it and paint it. This as opposed to cutting out
the offending drywall and replacing it. I'm guessing the black is mold?
I would appreciate this group's opinion on my plan.

Cut it out and replace it.