DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water Damage to Drywall (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/178788-water-damage-drywall.html)

[email protected] October 10th 06 09:08 PM

Water Damage to Drywall

I need to repair some water damage to a drywall ceiling and walls. I
repaired the source of the roof leak last weekend that caused the
damage. There is a small (~0.5") hole in the ceiling with some black
around the hole. There are also some blackened streaks down the wall
near the hole and some of the joint tape is coming up. My thought was a
simple repair where I just put mesh tape over the hole, cut away the
loose joint tape, mud it and paint it. This as opposed to cutting out
the offending drywall and replacing it. I'm guessing the black is mold?
I would appreciate this group's opinion on my plan.

BRW

[email protected] October 10th 06 09:34 PM

Water Damage to Drywall

i'd rip it out and replace it, especially cause i'd want to see what's
underneath...

Todd H. October 10th 06 09:53 PM

Water Damage to Drywall

writes:

I need to repair some water damage to a drywall ceiling and walls. I
repaired the source of the roof leak last weekend that caused the
damage. There is a small (~0.5") hole in the ceiling with some black
around the hole. There are also some blackened streaks down the wall
near the hole and some of the joint tape is coming up. My thought was a
simple repair where I just put mesh tape over the hole, cut away the
loose joint tape, mud it and paint it. This as opposed to cutting out
the offending drywall and replacing it. I'm guessing the black is mold?
I would appreciate this group's opinion on my plan.

Yeah, the black staining is the worrisome part here I think. God
knows what you'd be covering up back there. Drywall is inexpensive
enough to replace or inexpensive enough to hire out a moonlighter in
the neighborhood that it'd probably be wise to cut out at least the
stained drywall to have a look at what more might be going on after an
unknown duration of moisture having been supplied back there.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Joe October 11th 06 12:59 AM

Water Damage to Drywall

wrote:
I need to repair some water damage to a drywall ceiling and walls. I
repaired the source of the roof leak last weekend that caused the
damage. There is a small (~0.5") hole in the ceiling with some black
around the hole. There are also some blackened streaks down the wall
near the hole and some of the joint tape is coming up. My thought was a
simple repair where I just put mesh tape over the hole, cut away the
loose joint tape, mud it and paint it. This as opposed to cutting out
the offending drywall and replacing it. I'm guessing the black is mold?
I would appreciate this group's opinion on my plan.

BRW

When you get the entire mess removed, take time to treat as much as you
can of the structure behind the drywall with an aggressive mold killer
before you repair and button it all up. Usual precautions about dealing
with mold apply. HTH

Joe

Joseph Meehan October 11th 06 01:56 AM

Water Damage to Drywall

wrote:
I need to repair some water damage to a drywall ceiling and walls. I
repaired the source of the roof leak last weekend that caused the
damage. There is a small (~0.5") hole in the ceiling with some black
around the hole. There are also some blackened streaks down the wall
near the hole and some of the joint tape is coming up. My thought was
a simple repair where I just put mesh tape over the hole, cut away the
loose joint tape, mud it and paint it. This as opposed to cutting out
the offending drywall and replacing it. I'm guessing the black is
mold? I would appreciate this group's opinion on my plan.

BRW

Not good. The whole thing needs to be removed and all mold treated. If
it seems too much for you, your home insurance may cover it. Lacking that
you may want to pay the pros.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

jeffc October 11th 06 02:14 AM

Water Damage to Drywall

wrote in message
s.com...
I need to repair some water damage to a drywall ceiling and walls. I
repaired the source of the roof leak last weekend that caused the
damage. There is a small (~0.5") hole in the ceiling with some black
around the hole. There are also some blackened streaks down the wall
near the hole and some of the joint tape is coming up. My thought was a
simple repair where I just put mesh tape over the hole, cut away the
loose joint tape, mud it and paint it. This as opposed to cutting out
the offending drywall and replacing it. I'm guessing the black is mold?
I would appreciate this group's opinion on my plan.

Cut it out and replace it.