Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help! Cave cricket invasion!

I have recently been invaded by cave crickets. I started noticing them
in my full, unfinished basement earlier this summer. I initially
tolerated them as I had seen only a few, but became a bit freaked-out
the other day when I saw about six on one of my basement walls. I have
since put down four glue traps, which have already caught several of
the ugly insects. I have also sucked-up several with my shop vac, but
they still keep coming out of nowhere.

Can anyone offer any further suggestions as to how I can get rid of
these pests for good? I would prefer not to use a fogger, but will if
necessary.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dry out the basement. That's all. If you have moist stagnant air in
any dark area then you will have camel crickets.

They are harmless. The poison you might spread around is not harmless.

For the ones you have now, get a cat.

-rev

techie guy wrote:
I have recently been invaded by cave crickets. I started noticing them
in my full, unfinished basement earlier this summer. I initially
tolerated them as I had seen only a few, but became a bit freaked-out
the other day when I saw about six on one of my basement walls. I have
since put down four glue traps, which have already caught several of
the ugly insects. I have also sucked-up several with my shop vac, but
they still keep coming out of nowhere.

Can anyone offer any further suggestions as to how I can get rid of
these pests for good? I would prefer not to use a fogger, but will if
necessary.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Oct 2006 09:29:39 -0700, "techie guy"
wrote:

I have recently been invaded by cave crickets. I started noticing them
in my full, unfinished basement earlier this summer. I initially
tolerated them as I had seen only a few, but became a bit freaked-out
the other day when I saw about six on one of my basement walls. I have
since put down four glue traps, which have already caught several of
the ugly insects. I have also sucked-up several with my shop vac, but
they still keep coming out of nowhere.

Can anyone offer any further suggestions as to how I can get rid of
these pests for good? I would prefer not to use a fogger, but will if
necessary.
Thanks in advance.

Got photos?

later,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most cats love to eat crickets. Better than any cat food or cat treats
(except maybe tuna).

Posted to alt.home.repair
hal hal is offline

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article . com,
says...
I have recently been invaded by cave crickets. I started noticing them
in my full, unfinished basement earlier this summer. I initially
tolerated them as I had seen only a few, but became a bit freaked-out
the other day when I saw about six on one of my basement walls. I have
since put down four glue traps, which have already caught several of
the ugly insects. I have also sucked-up several with my shop vac, but
they still keep coming out of nowhere.

Can anyone offer any further suggestions as to how I can get rid of
these pests for good? I would prefer not to use a fogger, but will if
necessary.
Thanks in advance.

Foggers will only kill what it contacts, not a long term aid. Granulated
cricket baits spread in the crawl space area may help. Air circulation
in the crawl area is supposed to make the living conditions unfavorable
for them. This may be as simple as making sure the vents are open to
adding fans under the home to move the air. Residual insecticides in the
entry ways from the crawl will slow them down if not stop them, though
it will be needed to be reapplied on a continual basis.

Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

I used the granulated bait as Lar suggests above and that did the trick for
me. I opened up the crawlspace and spread it around in there and then
sprinkled a bit in corners and dark hiding places. Took about 2 months to
really notice a difference, but in the end it got rid of all of them.

I got my bait at bugspray.com. Don't recall the name, but they have a whole
section on cave crickets.