Posted to alt.home.repair
don don is offline

Default Portable A/C units

Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 3:12*pm, don wrote:
Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

I replied to this question in your other thread.

See he

http://www.compactappliance.com/Buye...efault,pg.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 3:12*pm, don wrote:
Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

It's not an intake. It's an exhaust. The hot air from
the condensor has to go someplace or else we
need new laws of thermodynamics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:12:22 -0700 (PDT), don
wrote:

Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

You need fresh air if you fart a lot.

The hose is needed to exhaust the hot air, same as what is happening
to the part sticking out the window on a regular unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 4:37*pm, "
wrote:
On Jul 17, 3:12*pm, don wrote:

Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

It's not an intake. *It's an exhaust. *The hot air from
the condensor has to go someplace or else we
need new laws of thermodynamics.

Bzzzzt...wrong answer.

It appears that the OP has a dual hose portable unit.

Follow the link in my earlier post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

You need fresh air if you fart a lot.

The hose is needed to exhaust the hot air, same as what is happening
to the part sticking out the window on a regular unit.

Nope, if you follow the OP's other thread, you'll note he uses the
words "hoses".

It appears he bought a dual hose AC that does indeed have an intake
hose.

See he

http://www.compactappliance.com/Buye...efault,pg.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

You need fresh air if you fart a lot.

The hose is needed to exhaust the hot air, same as what is happening
to the part sticking out the window on a regular unit.

Nope, if you follow the OP's other thread, you'll note he uses the
words "hoses".

It appears he bought a dual hose AC that does indeed have an intake
hose.

See he

http://www.compactappliance.com/Buye...Portable-Air-C...

Well, excuse us for not figuring out that there was
some other thread, which he did not refer to and
I still don't see. Plus
he did ask why ALL portable AC's come with an
"intake" hose. They don't all have intake hoses, but
AFAIK, they all have EXHAUST hoses, so it seemed
reasonable that he was talking about an exhaust hose.

So, to clarify, the exhaust hoses, which they all have,
are for getting rid of the heat from the condenser.
If they have an intake hose, which is a better design,
then it supplies the cooling air for the condenser
instead of wasting cooler room air for that purpose.
That air then goes back out via the exhaust hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

You need fresh air if you fart a lot.

The hose is needed to exhaust the hot air, same as what is happening
to the part sticking out the window on a regular unit.

Nope, if you follow the OP's other thread, you'll note he uses the
words "hoses".

It appears he bought a dual hose AC that does indeed have an intake
hose.

See he

http://www.compactappliance.com/Buye...Portable-Air-C...

Well, excuse us for not figuring out that there was
some other thread, which he did not refer to and
I still don't see.

You must have seen the other thread since you responded in it.

********

Window mounted A/C unit Options

On Jul 16, 7:33*pm, "
wrote:
On Jul 16, 6:20*pm, don wrote:

Looking for ways to mount an window a/c unit in a casement window? Take out the fly screen have a piece of plexiglass made to fit and cut out for the a/c?

That could work. *When I was in college I used a piece
of plywood in a similar fashion. * Have you tried googling?
Might find some ready made solution.

********

Plus
he did ask why ALL portable AC's come with an
"intake" hose. *They don't all have intake hoses, but
AFAIK, they all have EXHAUST hoses, so it seemed
reasonable that he was talking about an exhaust hose.

I'll give you that he shouldn't have said "all" but maybe that's all
he saw when he was shopping. Since they are more efficient than single
hose units, maybe it's hard to find a single hose unit these days. I
don't know, I've never shopped for one.

However, since he did refer to it as an "air intake hose", which is an
item that actually exists, I don't know if it reasonable to assume
that he meant anything other than what he said.

That's just my opinion, which is worth just as much as yours. ;-) No
sense arguing about it.

So, to clarify, the exhaust hoses, which they all have,
are for getting rid of the heat from the condenser.
If they have an intake hose, which is a better design,
then it supplies the cooling air for the condenser
instead of wasting cooler room air for that purpose.
That air then goes back out via the exhaust hose.

Yep, that's how the dual hose units work.

There's also the added efficiency of not causing negative air pressure
in the room which could draw in hot air that needs to be cooled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:32:48 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote in
Re
Portable A/C units:

So, to clarify, the exhaust hoses, which they all have,
are for getting rid of the heat from the condenser.
If they have an intake hose, which is a better design,
then it supplies the cooling air for the condenser
instead of wasting cooler room air for that purpose.
That air then goes back out via the exhaust hose.

Exactly. Units with both an exhaust and INTAKE hose are a far better
design.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 9:42*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

wrote:

Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

You need fresh air if you fart a lot.

The hose is needed to exhaust the hot air, same as what is happening
to the part sticking out the window on a regular unit.

Nope, if you follow the OP's other thread, you'll note he uses the
words "hoses".

It appears he bought a dual hose AC that does indeed have an intake
hose.

See he

http://www.compactappliance.com/Buye...Portable-Air-C....

Well, excuse us for not figuring out that there was
some other thread, which he did not refer to and
I still don't see.

You must have seen the other thread since you responded in it.

********

No, because the title of that other thread had nothing
to do with portable AC, my reply was to his question
about putting a window AC in a casement window,
and his question about the portable came later and
I didn't see it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I didn't see it.- Hide quoted text -

Oh come on, this is silly.

It's fine that you didn't see the later posts in his other thread, but
for you to have claimed that you didn't see his other thread and
"still don't see it" was just wrong.

If I point out that you saw the other thread, you can't come back and
say "No" to that statement because the interweb shows that you did.
Whether or not you knew that the 2 threads were related or not doesn't
matter, the fact is that you saw the thread, you just didn't follow it
very far.

Besides, all I said was (and not even to you) "if you follow the OP's
other thread..." I didn't say you (or anyone else) saw it until you
claimed that you didn't. All I was doing was pointing you in the
direction of the other thread. I wasn't arguing with you.

There was no ill intent here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 06:46:43 -0500, CRNG wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:32:48 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote in
Re
Portable A/C units:

So, to clarify, the exhaust hoses, which they all have,
are for getting rid of the heat from the condenser.
If they have an intake hose, which is a better design,
then it supplies the cooling air for the condenser
instead of wasting cooler room air for that purpose.
That air then goes back out via the exhaust hose.

Exactly. Units with both an exhaust and INTAKE hose are a far better
design.

How well do those portable units work? I read that the early units
did not even come close to a window units, but thing change and can
get better.