Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable A/C units

On Jul 17, 5:54*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 17, 4:56*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:12:22 -0700 (PDT), don
wrote:

Can anyone think of why all portable air conditioning units come with an air intake hose? I mean why would I hook up air conditioning only to haul in hot outside air?

You need fresh air if you fart a lot.

The hose is needed to exhaust the hot air, same as what is happening
to the part sticking out the window on a regular unit.

Nope, if you follow the OP's other thread, you'll note he uses the
words "hoses".

It appears he bought a dual hose AC that does indeed have an intake
hose.

See he

http://www.compactappliance.com/Buye...Portable-Air-C...

Well, excuse us for not figuring out that there was
some other thread, which he did not refer to and
I still don't see. Plus
he did ask why ALL portable AC's come with an
"intake" hose. They don't all have intake hoses, but
AFAIK, they all have EXHAUST hoses, so it seemed
reasonable that he was talking about an exhaust hose.

So, to clarify, the exhaust hoses, which they all have,
are for getting rid of the heat from the condenser.
If they have an intake hose, which is a better design,
then it supplies the cooling air for the condenser
instead of wasting cooler room air for that purpose.
That air then goes back out via the exhaust hose.