Resquare doors after house settled

Old July 10th 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Resquare doors after house settled

I have recently purchased a house and due to some slight settling on the
foundation...

My front door and a couple interior doors are no longer square.

The Front door has distanced itself from the vertical side opposite the
hinges, with the top being flush and the bottom having at least a 1/2 gap.
A couple interior doors have done the same, making them difficult to
close.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide, or any resources I could reference.

Jason
Old July 10th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair
cm

Jason,

Here is an easy fix that works most of the time.

For your front door with the gap at the bottom:

1. Remove the hinge screws from the jamb side of the bottom hinge.

2. Take a piece of cardboard from a cereal box or the back of a note pad and
cut it to fit in the recess the hinge fits in on the jamb. It does not need
to fit perfectly. If the hinge is a 4" hinge you may cut a piece of
cardboard 1" X 3 1/2" or close to that.

3. Place the cardboard between the hinge and the jamb and replace the
screws.

4. Test the door and see if it is better. You may have two add another piece
of cardboard.

I never add more than two layers of cardboard.

I have used this method in my own home and it has proved to be a long term
fix.

Good luck,

cm

news:8d553a3fd1524e6b27534174e500b384@homerepairli ve.com...

Old July 11th 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

jawhaley wrote:
I have recently purchased a house and due to some slight settling on the
foundation...

My front door and a couple interior doors are no longer square.

The Front door has distanced itself from the vertical side opposite the
hinges, with the top being flush and the bottom having at least a 1/2 gap.

What does the gap look like along the top of the door, and along the
bottom?

If it's a "square" issue, you should have a 1/4" gap at the top on the
non-hinge side. Also, the bottom non-hinge corner should be scraping
the frame, or nearly so.

Old July 15th 06, 10:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

The top of the door goes from 1/8 of an inch on the hinge side to about
3/16, but I'm unsure about the bottom because the base board has been
adjusted to meet the door. I noticed after looking at it more closely
that there is a gap on the top hinge side and the door is flush at the
bottom hinge side. The Door is also flush on the top no hinge side, and a
gap at the bottom hinge side. This doesn't appear to be a square issure
according to your last comment. Is my door hung incorrectly? Or what is
the alternative, Thanks,

Jason

Old house w/ abruptly uneven floors/windows - should I be worried? [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 7th 06 05:22 AM
arghhh wimpey house wardrobe doors Mr Conway UK diy 1 April 6th 05 08:34 PM
more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Repair 93 September 7th 04 10:39 AM
more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Ownership 56 September 7th 04 06:20 AM
Why buy a house? victor Home Ownership 376 August 19th 04 11:08 PM