Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink hole in my walkway

We've had a lot of rain up here in the Northeast and a
1-foot-by-1-foot-by-1-foot (very symmetrical!) sinkhole has formed in
my paved walkway.
I'm thinking about filling the hole with rocks and then pouring some
concrete in there and then hiring someone to put an asphalt patch over
it so it blends in with the rest of the walkway.

Does this sound like the right approach?

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're going to get a hot patch done, then I would get them to take
care of the base prep work too. Most important is that it be
compacted. And I agree to forget about the concrete, as it isn't
buying you anything. But it's going to be hard to find anyone that
wants to do that small of a job. You cou go with the cold patch
material sold at the home centers. I've used it for similar work and
it's still there doing fine 10 years later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i agree find out whats going on otherwise the hole will just appear
again/

sewer water or drain lines in the area

Posted to alt.home.repair
OldRoads

Thanks for your help with this.
I dug it out and found it was caused by rainwater flooding a chipmunk
hole underneath the walkway.
I packed everything down, filled it with crushed stone (no cement!),
and bought some coldpatch and followed the directions on the package.
It came out pretty well, though the color of the coldpatch is a lot
darker than the walkway asphalt. Maybe it'll get lighter over time.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

sprinkle some light colored sand on the coldpatch and pound the surface
with the end of a 2x or so and it will stick and give a lighter color