Posted to alt.home.repair
Adiabatic

Default stove pipe in chimney

Can I place stove pipe in a brick chimney? Nothing is connected to the
chimney.

Posted to alt.home.repair

first you must get the chimey inspected from inside camera to assure
its not a fire hazard. lined or unlined?condition? hows the chimney cap
and overall condition espically at the top?

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Haller,

Once the OP knows the condition of the chimney how will you then answer
his question? My interpretation of his question is that he is routing his
stove pipe up an old chimney and the stove pipe will enclose the hot gases
so the condition of the chimney cap and the question of lining seem moot.
I'd be concerned about the flammable dirt which may be in the chimney. I'd
also be concerned about poor maintenance, in the future, of the stove pipe,
since "out of sight is out of mind".

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

WE are going through the same issue, we have a flue lined block chimney. I
wanted to use it for the woodstove. We can't because our furnace also uses
the chimney. But if I purchase a direct vent furnace then I can use the
chimney. We would be running the stove pipe up the chimney and this would
cause NO problems. But you still have to maintain the stove pipe once a
year. See if I run the stove pipe up the chimney I can save a bundle of
money, if I have to run stove up along side the chimney I would have to buy
double walled chrome pipe, and thats 85 bucks a 3' piece. Regular pipe is
only about 10 bucks a piece.
You do the math, furnace would be about 500 more or stove pipe would be
about 1300 more. Hmmm

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Shopdog" wrote in message news:Kpkag.3780$343.2920@trnddc06...
WE are going through the same issue, we have a flue lined block chimney. I
wanted to use it for the woodstove. We can't because our furnace also uses
the chimney. But if I purchase a direct vent furnace then I can use the
chimney. We would be running the stove pipe up the chimney and this would
cause NO problems. But you still have to maintain the stove pipe once a
year. See if I run the stove pipe up the chimney I can save a bundle of
money, if I have to run stove up along side the chimney I would have to buy
double walled chrome pipe, and thats 85 bucks a 3' piece. Regular pipe is
only about 10 bucks a piece.
You do the math, furnace would be about 500 more or stove pipe would be
about 1300 more. Hmmm

I believe that stainless steel "liner" may be required for this. It is expensive also, but worth
the $ in safety and saved maintainence. Creosote, produced by burning wood, is
corrosive and will destroy regular steel pipe. Since it is hidden, problems will not be obvious.

Bob

Are push fit plumbing fittings any good? Steve UK diy 75 September 3rd 05 01:56 PM
Chimney Question Rob Gray Home Repair 1 October 21st 04 03:16 AM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 07:17 AM
Chimney cap question Susan Home Repair 8 July 29th 03 08:20 PM
Ground to Gas Pipe?? w_tom Home Repair 4 June 23rd 03 09:14 AM