Uses for Hydraulic cement...

Old November 24th 05, 04:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Uses for Hydraulic cement...

I have recently found the quick hardening nature of Hydraulic cement
to be very useful for patching things like my fieldstone fuoundation
in areas where a regular mortar mix or concrete would tend to slide
off.

The quick setting nature allows me to shape it in ways that either I
couldn't do with ordinary mortar or concrete or that would require
complex forms.

Other than the expense of hydraulic cement, is this a "legitimate" use
or is hydraulic cement deficient to mortar or cement in structural
ways that I will come to regret? (note none of my uses require
extremely high compression or strength ratings)

If this is a proper use, then I must say that hydraulic cement is a
great short-cut solution for small handyman repairs.

Thanks

Old November 24th 05, 01:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure exactly what it is. But it is available in the borgs in
several varieties and sizes range from 5lb to 50lb containers. Some
harden in as little as 3 minutes. Others take more like 10-15min.
I paid ~$24 for a 50lb container at HD in the construction material
section.

Old November 29th 05, 10:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

W. Wells writes:

What is hydraulic cement ...

Properly, hydraulic cement is any cement that cures by the addition of
water, such as portland cement.

As a typical misnomer, "hydraulic cement" is portland cement mix with an
accelerant to cause very fast setting. This can be useful for filling
voids where water pressure is present. Tends to be wildly overpriced.