Doc

Default How long should drywall prep take?

I'm having some hurricane damage repaired (in Florida, from last year).
Replaced drywall includes the entire ceiling on a 2 car garage, and 2 spare
approx 10x10 bedrooms both having closets, ceilings and 3 out of 4 walls,
and one approx 8x5 wall between the bedrooms.

How long would you expect it to take with 2 guys doing the tape/joint
compound work? Tomorrow they'll be on their 5th day, it might go 6.

UP and Adam

Also in FL, depends what you are doing. If you are talking about
ripping out the old, hanging and finishing it might take that long. I
had my entire house sheet rocked a couple of years ago with 15'
ceilings in many areas and it took five days for the entire job. House
is 2200 Sqft.
John

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 03:06:03 GMT, "Doc"
wrote:

I'm having some hurricane damage repaired (in Florida, from last year).
Replaced drywall includes the entire ceiling on a 2 car garage, and 2 spare
approx 10x10 bedrooms both having closets, ceilings and 3 out of 4 walls,
and one approx 8x5 wall between the bedrooms.

How long would you expect it to take with 2 guys doing the tape/joint
compound work? Tomorrow they'll be on their 5th day, it might go 6.

boden

If all they've done is tape and bed for 4 days it sounds like they have
found a home. A good drywall crew (2 guys) would tape and bed this in a
day or less. Part of a second day for the second coat, and if needed
part of a third day for the third coat. The successive coats could take
more elapsed time if the humidity is and drying slow, but on those days
they work on another job.

Boden

Doc wrote:
I'm having some hurricane damage repaired (in Florida, from last year).
Replaced drywall includes the entire ceiling on a 2 car garage, and 2 spare
approx 10x10 bedrooms both having closets, ceilings and 3 out of 4 walls,
and one approx 8x5 wall between the bedrooms.

How long would you expect it to take with 2 guys doing the tape/joint
compound work? Tomorrow they'll be on their 5th day, it might go 6.

dadiOH

Doc wrote:
I'm having some hurricane damage repaired (in Florida, from last
year). Replaced drywall includes the entire ceiling on a 2 car
garage, and 2 spare approx 10x10 bedrooms both having closets,
ceilings and 3 out of 4 walls, and one approx 8x5 wall between the
bedrooms.

How long would you expect it to take with 2 guys doing the tape/joint
compound work? Tomorrow they'll be on their 5th day, it might go 6.

I hope you are paying a flat price for the job, not by time...they are
taking way too long.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Doc

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Doc wrote:
I'm having some hurricane damage repaired (in Florida, from last
year). Replaced drywall includes the entire ceiling on a 2 car
garage, and 2 spare approx 10x10 bedrooms both having closets,
ceilings and 3 out of 4 walls, and one approx 8x5 wall between the
bedrooms.

How long would you expect it to take with 2 guys doing the tape/joint
compound work? Tomorrow they'll be on their 5th day, it might go 6.

I hope you are paying a flat price for the job, not by time...they are
taking way too long.

It's an insurance job. They're subs working for a general contractor so it's
not costing me any more. It's a father/son, one of them apparently has
some sort of physical disability, says he's getting over Hep C and has
arthritis. I was only here the first day and the father's favorite topic of
conversation seemed to be all the bad decisions he's made and the various
people who have screwed him over in business. At least he seemed to keep
working while he's blabbing.

It took a couple of guys about 2 hours to unload the drywall (around 30 12ft
sheets) , then 2 other guys about 4 hours to hang it. These finishers
started last Thurs. and when they first got here they said they figured it
would take 4 days. and worked on it thurs, fri, sat, yesterday (mon.) and am
expecting them back today. On the wall between the 2 b/r's they hit the
joints in the center but for some reason didn't start on the joints around
the perimeter until I left a note yesterday pointing it out. For some reason
there was also a large gap in the joint at the wall/ceiling in one b/r which
I also mentioned in the note. Since they only put the initial coat on those
joints yesterday, obviously they have to put another coat on today so I'm
guessing they'll have to come back tomorrow, which would be 6 days.

Initially I was going to only have them be here when I was here on my days
off but they seem decent enough and have been in business for some time, so
I have a key hidden for them to use. Valuable/sensitve stuff is moved into
my master b/r which I keep locked. Geezus, I'm glad I did, they'd have been
here bloody forever if I'd limited it to days when I could be here.

Doc

"UP and Adam" wrote in message
news
Also in FL, depends what you are doing. If you are talking about
ripping out the old, hanging and finishing it might take that long. I

The drywall was ripped out long ago by the mold remediators. The day before
the finishers started, it took 2 guys around 2 hours to unload and stack the
approximately 30 sheets (having to do some artful maneuvering inside the
house), and another 2 guys about 4 hours to hang it. Of course, the trim and
paint still has to be done, if these finishers get done before they die of
old age.

RicodJour

Doc wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

Doc wrote:
[...]

The guy's are there working, it's an insurance job and they won't be
looking for more money, you trust them enough to let them have a key,
one of them has arthritis, it's pretty much standard to hit the center
joints before the perimeter (assuming you mean corners), it's a
father/son team and they have been in businesss for a while and seem
decent, they worked on a Saturday and on a holiday. That about sum it
up? What are you complaining about?

There's an old saying - cheap, fast or good, you can get any two out of
the three. If you wanted faster, you should have paid for faster, but
since the damage was from _last_ year, I don't see why all of a sudden
it has to be done in a rush. They may be a little slow, but you just
sound impatient.

Doc

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

it's pretty much standard to hit the center
joints before the perimeter (assuming you mean corners),

They hit all the other corners at the same time. It isn't apparent to me why
they couldn't have done these at the same time. It's going to take just as
long for it to dry and by not doing it when they started everything else,
they've unnecessarily added even more time to the job.

it's a
father/son team and they have been in businesss for a while and seem
decent, they worked on a Saturday and on a holiday. That about sum it
up?

How many people besides bank, gov't and school employees didn't work on the
"holiday"? Did you work on Monday? I did.

There's an old saying - cheap, fast or good, you can get any two out of
the three. If you wanted faster, you should have paid for faster, but
since the damage was from _last_ year, I don't see why all of a sudden
it has to be done in a rush.

Now that I don't have the rooms to use even for storage, my house is turned
upside down until the work gets finished. I paid the GC, there wasn't any
checkbox for "faster, able-bodied sub". And from what I'm seeing, they're
not beating their brains out to make a neat job of it, at least not the part
that the father is doing.

They may be a little slow, but you just
sound impatient.

I asked a question as to how long it should take. Yours seems to be the
minority view.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doc" wrote in message

How many people besides bank, gov't and school employees didn't work on
the
"holiday"? Did you work on Monday? I did.

Sorry to hear that. I'm in manufacturing and had the day off.

RicodJour

Doc wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

it's pretty much standard to hit the center
joints before the perimeter (assuming you mean corners),

They hit all the other corners at the same time. It isn't apparent to me why
they couldn't have done these at the same time. It's going to take just as
long for it to dry and by not doing it when they started everything else,
they've unnecessarily added even more time to the job.

Well, since I can't tell from here, unless you ask them directly you'll
never know if there was a reason or not.

it's a
father/son team and they have been in businesss for a while and seem
decent, they worked on a Saturday and on a holiday. That about sum it
up?

How many people besides bank, gov't and school employees didn't work on the
"holiday"? Did you work on Monday? I did.

Made a couple of phone calls in the late afternoon and called it a day.
But it's not really about my work hours or yours, is it? They're
there working and not taking days off and leaving you in the lurch. If
the guys worked more quickly, but didn't work on Saturday and/or
Monday, would that have been preferable?

There's an old saying - cheap, fast or good, you can get any two out of
the three. If you wanted faster, you should have paid for faster, but
since the damage was from _last_ year, I don't see why all of a sudden
it has to be done in a rush.

Now that I don't have the rooms to use even for storage, my house is turned
upside down until the work gets finished. I paid the GC, there wasn't any
checkbox for "faster, able-bodied sub". And from what I'm seeing, they're
not beating their brains out to make a neat job of it, at least not the part
that the father is doing.

I hadn't realized that you were using a GC. You hadn't mentioned that.
Aren't these questions better directed at him? He's the one that
hired the guys and can motivate them.

You had written in an earlier post that they had originally said it
should take about four days to do the work, and now it looks like it
might take six. Two days difference. Getting bothered by that small
difference in time does smack of impatience. Particularly when there's
still trim and painting to do. Sentences such as "Of course, the trim
and paint still has to be done, if these finishers get done before they
die of old age." (this on a week long job), tells me you're impatient.

If you had a strict schedule you should have included a "time is of the
essence" clause with stated damages. Of course, that would have caused
the price to go up and/or the GC to tell you to take a hike, but it's
the only way to insure completion on a schedule.

You could also have specified that you wanted the first coat to be a
setting-type compound, such as Durabond. That would have eliminated
almost all of the drying time as the later, thinner coats dry much more
quickly.

They may be a little slow, but you just
sound impatient.

I asked a question as to how long it should take. Yours seems to be the
minority view.

I rarely check other people's opinions before I formulate my own, but
again, that's besides the point. You seem to have misunderstood my
meaning. Should it have taken less time? Probably. So what? What
difference does that make at this point when they're finishing in
another day? You're getting upset over nothing.

In general, you should probably ask your questions before the work
takes place. It's impossible to prevent headaches after they have
already occurred.

dadiOH

RicodJour wrote:

In general, you should probably ask your questions before the work
takes place. It's impossible to prevent headaches after they have
already occurred.

Your head is screwed on straight.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Duane Bozarth

Doc wrote:

"UP and Adam" wrote in message
news
Also in FL, depends what you are doing. If you are talking about
ripping out the old, hanging and finishing it might take that long. I

The drywall was ripped out long ago by the mold remediators. The day before
the finishers started, it took 2 guys around 2 hours to unload and stack the
approximately 30 sheets (having to do some artful maneuvering inside the
house), and another 2 guys about 4 hours to hang it. Of course, the trim and
paint still has to be done, if these finishers get done before they die of
old age.

They get paid by footage instead of time, so what difference does it
make unless they're holding up some other sub?
SteveB

Client to Teamster:

How many men, and how long will it take to move this furniture?

Teamster to Client:

Who cares?

You got a problem with that?

Messing with a sub makes as much sense as messing with your barber or cook.
If you don't like him, just fire his ass and get another.

Steve

RicodJour

SteveB wrote:
Client to Teamster:

How many men, and how long will it take to move this furniture?

Teamster to Client:

Who cares?

You got a problem with that?

Messing with a sub makes as much sense as messing with your barber or cook.
If you don't like him, just fire his ass and get another.

I tell that one slightly differently:
How many Teasmsters does it take to change a lightbulb?
Six. You got a problem with that?
No! Just asking...

Doc

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doc wrote:

The drywall was ripped out long ago by the mold remediators. The day

before
the finishers started, it took 2 guys around 2 hours to unload and stack

the
approximately 30 sheets (having to do some artful maneuvering inside the
house), and another 2 guys about 4 hours to hang it. Of course, the trim

and
paint still has to be done, if these finishers get done before they die

of
old age.

They get paid by footage instead of time, so what difference does it
make unless they're holding up some other sub?

As I mentioned, the paint and trim doesn't get done until these guys get
done. What difference it makes is I'm living in a maze of furniture and
"stuff" in the meanwhile.

They didn't even show today.

Duane Bozarth

Doc wrote:

The drywall was ripped out long ago by the mold remediators. The day

before
the finishers started, it took 2 guys around 2 hours to unload and stack

the
approximately 30 sheets (having to do some artful maneuvering inside the
house), and another 2 guys about 4 hours to hang it. Of course, the trim

and
paint still has to be done, if these finishers get done before they die

of
old age.

They get paid by footage instead of time, so what difference does it
make unless they're holding up some other sub?

As I mentioned, the paint and trim doesn't get done until these guys get
done. What difference it makes is I'm living in a maze of furniture and
"stuff" in the meanwhile.

They didn't even show today.

They don't sound like seasoned pros, certainly. Given the scarcity of
almost any construction labor in the SE these days, that's probably not
surprising. A little mess and stuff to stumble around is pretty good
conditions for many. Not that that makes it any less irritating,
granted...

Are the other subs actually waiting on them? It sounds like a pretty
small job which may well be part of the problem--if it were my house I'd
probably just work on it when they aren't and keep track of what areas
they don't finish and dock them on that area.
Doc

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

Made a couple of phone calls in the late afternoon and called it a day.
But it's not really about my work hours or yours, is it? They're
there working and not taking days off and leaving you in the lurch. If
the guys worked more quickly, but didn't work on Saturday and/or
Monday, would that have been preferable?

Who said they don't take days off? They took Sunday off which I expected and
don't begrudge them, but they also didn't show today at all. And your
analysis is full of holes. Why should someone get a medal if they drag ass
and take 10 hours to do something that should reasonably take 2 hours?
You're probably not familiar with this concept, but in lots of places they
actually have standards for performance.

Let me guess, you're in the business and you don't like being held to what
you say you're going to do.

You had written in an earlier post that they had originally said it
should take about four days to do the work, and now it looks like it
might take six. Two days difference.

Some here indicated it should have taken 2 or 3. The 5th day has yet to
happen.

Getting bothered by that small
difference in time does smack of impatience.

Says who? They're already going to almost double their own projection.

Particularly when there's
still trim and painting to do. Sentences such as "Of course, the trim
and paint still has to be done, if these finishers get done before they
die of old age." (this on a week long job), tells me you're impatient.

You don't even make sense. Given that there's still paint and trim to be
done, none of it happens until these guys get done, and there's carpeting
after that. Again, some here have indicated it should have taken 2 or 3
days. At what point wouldst thou allow that "impatience" is warranted?
Particularly when it's been indicated that the original time frame is
already too long? At double the projected time frame? Triple?

We're not talking about building a nuclear power plant, it's a
straightforward drywall job on 2 bedrooms and a garage ceiling with no
complications.

You could also have specified that you wanted the first coat to be a
setting-type compound, such as Durabond. That would have eliminated
almost all of the drying time as the later, thinner coats dry much more
quickly.
In general, you should probably ask your questions before the work
takes place. It's impossible to prevent headaches after they have
already occurred.

If I was that familiar with the process I would have mentioned it. That's
why I asked the question I asked in here. And as I mentioned, I did ask
these guys specifically how long it would take. They said 4 days which means
the job should have been done yesterday and I could be getting on with life.

Doc

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Are the other subs actually waiting on them?

??

The paint, trim and shelving doesn't go on until the drywall is finished.
The carpet doesn't go in until the aforementioned is finished.

Duane Bozarth

Doc wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Are the other subs actually waiting on them?

??

The paint, trim and shelving doesn't go on until the drywall is finished.
The carpet doesn't go in until the aforementioned is finished.

Obviously...but are they actually standing around twiddling their thumbs
was the question?
RicodJour

Doc wrote:
They said 4 days which means
the job should have been done yesterday and I could be getting on with life.

You should be getting on with it anyway. Regardless of how annoying
you find the few days of dealy, having a malfunction over it won't make
it go any quicker, won't make you any happier and will most likely make
things worse for everyone involved.

You are learning a lesson, free of charge. If you have specific
requirements they need to be addressed, agreed upon and documented
ahead of time.

If you have problems with the schedule and want to bitch at someone,
try the guy you're paying.

Doc

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

??

The paint, trim and shelving doesn't go on until the drywall is

finished.
The carpet doesn't go in until the aforementioned is finished.

To steal from the movie "What we have heayah, is a fail-yah to
co-myune-i-kate.."

No, they're not standing around literally but they can't be called in until
the drywall guys are done. Same result.

Doc

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

You are learning a lesson, free of charge.

Free of charge my ass, they're being paid.

By the way, am I right about you being in the business?

RicodJour

Doc wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

You are learning a lesson, free of charge.

Free of charge my ass, they're being paid.

Yes, but you're not paying extra for it. Hence, free of charge.

By the way, am I right about you being in the business?

Which business?

Is this the first time you've had work done on your house?

Duane Bozarth

Doc wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

??

The paint, trim and shelving doesn't go on until the drywall is

finished.
The carpet doesn't go in until the aforementioned is finished.

To steal from the movie "What we have heayah, is a fail-yah to
co-myune-i-kate.."

No, they're not standing around literally but they can't be called in until
the drywall guys are done. Same result.

But if you didn't have them scheduled is my point...

As Rico or someone else says...'bout all you can do is either live w/
the crew you got and chill, fire 'em and try to get someone else to do
better to finish (probably not at all likely) or pick up a trowel and
dig in...

Wish I had better answer, but that's construction/home repair in good
times, what more in a situation such as exists in the SE at the present
(and for the foreseeable future as long as one can foresee)...
SteveB

You know, you think you have seen and heard just about everything. You've
watched probably two thousand episodes of Jerry Springer. You listen/watch
Howard Stern. You watch the newspaper for man bites dog stories.

It takes a lot to turn you on. You figure no one in the world can come up
with anything so stupid that it catches your attention.

Then comes along ..................

Some unidentified soul wrote the drywall guys .........

Are the other subs actually waiting on them?

Heeeere's yer sign.

RicodJour

SteveB wrote:
You know, you think you have seen and heard just about everything. You've
watched probably two thousand episodes of Jerry Springer. You listen/watch
Howard Stern. You watch the newspaper for man bites dog stories.

It takes a lot to turn you on. You figure no one in the world can come up
with anything so stupid that it catches your attention.

Then comes along ..................

Some unidentified soul wrote the drywall guys .........

Are the other subs actually waiting on them?

Heeeere's yer sign.

There's waiting and then there's waiting. You know somehow that the
other subs aren't tied up on other jobs? Or that the GC actually
scheduled the job instead of just winging this small job?

If you do know for a fact, well, yeah, then I guess the question might
seem questionable. If you don't know, your post is the one that seems
a bit stupid. I guess that comes with the territory after watching a
couple thousand episodes of Jerry Springer.

SteveB

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
SteveB wrote:
[...]

I guess you weren't paying attention that day. The question was: are the
painters actually waiting on the rockers?

Steve

Doc

wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:25:03 GMT, "Doc"
wrote:

Let me guess, you're in the business and you don't like being held to

what
you say you're going to do.

Completely unwarranted cheap shot at one of the most helpful guys
here. You must really be on edge.

It's a completely appropriate response to his editorializing. Nothing "on
edge" about it. I asked a simple question and he feels he's qualified to
tell me how I should feel about a situation.

I can tell you that yours is a very small job ... no one likes small
jobs, even in a climate where work is hard to find.

They liked it enough to take it. And the size of the job warrants being slow
about it? Logic would dictate they'd do it and be done with it.

Beside which, I hardly think they consider this job "too small". They'd been
on the job about an hour or less, I was talking to the son inside the house,
and went out in the garage to find the father lying on floor of the garage.
He was complaining about feeling run down. If the guy's not just a slacker
and the relatively small amount of work early in the day truly was kicking
his ass, this seems to be as large a job as they could handle.

More, you don't
strike me as a prince to work for.

Well let's, see. The first day they got there - 2 hours late from the time I
was told they'd be here - I listened to this guy whine about his messed up
life, getting hosed in business, his physical ailments, etc. etc. He asked
if I had any ice, I made them a pitcher of ice water since after years in
the business he didn't have the foresight to bring a cooler with Gatorade,
ice water, whatever, like every construction crew I've ever seen.

Allow me to direct you where to place your opinion.

RicodJour

wrote:

Let me guess, you're in the business and you don't like being held to

what
you say you're going to do.

Completely unwarranted cheap shot at one of the most helpful guys
here. You must really be on edge.

It's a completely appropriate response to his editorializing. Nothing "on
edge" about it. I asked a simple question and he feels he's qualified to
tell me how I should feel about a situation.

You're right. I've changed my mind. Please feel free to get all
worked up.

You posted back in August about a contractor's agreement
http://tinyurl.com/9m6j6
Is this the same contractor that you were asking about back then? ABC
American Building Contractors - Insurance Restoration Services, Inc?

Doc

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

You posted back in August about a contractor's agreement
http://tinyurl.com/9m6j6
Is this the same contractor that you were asking about back then? ABC
American Building Contractors - Insurance Restoration Services, Inc?

No, different folks altogether. I didn't feel comfortable with them and the
concensus on here didn't do anything to contradict that.

And I do appreciate your input on that query.

However....

Btw, up to this point, things have gone quickly. The GC is well known in the
area, and has been easy to get along with. The roof went on quick and from
my inspection of it, seems to be far more secure than the previous.

My suspicion is these guys are friends of his and he's throwing them a bone.

dadiOH

Doc wrote:

Beside which, I hardly think they consider this job "too small".
They'd been on the job about an hour or less, I was talking to the
son inside the house, and went out in the garage to find the father
lying on floor of the garage. He was complaining about feeling run
down. If the guy's not just a slacker and the relatively small amount
of work early in the day truly was kicking his ass, this seems to be
as large a job as they could handle.

Welcome to the world of rockers. I don't know if it is true generally
but around here about the only group with a worse rep are child
molesters.

When I guilt my house I was the GC. When I was ready for rock my
drywall contractor sent a crew of three...three guys who looked and
acted like the Scraggs from L'il Abner. NP if they could work but they
couldn't...no coordination among them, slow, late, sloppy. Had trouble
breathing and growing hair simultaneously. After two days I told the
contractor to send someone else. He did.

Next group was OK. Don't recall the hangers but the taper flew.
Unfortunately, after maybe three days he flew north to take a vacation.

Third crew was fine - especially the hangers. I cultivated them...long
day?...here's $20, have a pizza and beer on me, see you early tomorrow.
Taper was OK too. After they finished the 180 or so boards my only
problem was with the owner...he wanted to do the cement board himself
and I had to push like crazy to get him to do so. Ditto for him to clean
up all the out the window stuff.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

RicodJour

Doc wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

You posted back in August about a contractor's agreement
http://tinyurl.com/9m6j6
Is this the same contractor that you were asking about back then? ABC
American Building Contractors - Insurance Restoration Services, Inc?

No, different folks altogether. I didn't feel comfortable with them and the
concensus on here didn't do anything to contradict that.

And I do appreciate your input on that query.

I'm glad to hear that. That was one scary contract.

However....

Btw, up to this point, things have gone quickly. The GC is well known in the
area, and has been easy to get along with. The roof went on quick and from
my inspection of it, seems to be far more secure than the previous.

My suspicion is these guys are friends of his and he's throwing them a bone.

Or maybe the taper father gave the GC his first job in the business -
you never know. It's also possible the GC is doing you a favor. I
know there's a big demand for construction workers in your area, and
you're comparing the tapers speed to some theoretical taping crew.
Maybe the GC made the right decision and considering who he had to
choose from, chose the guys you have now as the best choice to get the
job done with the minimum amount of headaches (not none - that's also
theoretical).

Duane Bozarth

SteveB wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
SteveB wrote:
[...]

As Rico suggested, I was simply wondering whether the OP (or a GC, the
post doesn't even indicate which) had actually scheduled the finish work
for a specific day and they showed up or whether he (the OP) was simply
ticked 'cause his little job was taking longer than it should.
Obviously it didn't really matter, his situation is as it is/was, I was
just curious about the depth of the rant.