frank1492

Default Getting Even Coverage with Aerosol Spray Paint

I'm sure now that this is EXACTLY what happened.
It makes 100% sense. But you nailed it with your
perfectly precise explanation! Thanks!

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:04:19 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
Several years ago I used aerosol spray paint to resurface
a refrigerator door. I took the door off, laid it horizontally, and
wth machine-like precision sprayed left to right then up and
down. I repeated this several times and achieved factory-
finish results. The work was done indoors. I could not be
sure of what paint I used, but since I generally prefer Krylon,
that was likely it. (Not sure however.)
The other day, I attempted to do the same thing with
a metal cabinet door. This time, I used Krylon in bright
sun. The results were poor. Each pass would produce a
narrow band of smooth paint, but with increasingly rough
area getting farther from the center. Since every re-pass
did exactly the same thing, it was impossible to get a
completely smooth surface.
Some possibilities:
1. The bright sun and warm metal caused the paint
to dry too fast.

Sounds like the outer perimeter of the spray pattern was dry before it
landed. Don't spray in sun or wind.

2. The valve was bad.
3. I didn't use Krylon on the fridge door. In most
applications, I like the fast dry of Krylon, but don't pay
much attention to smoothness. Maybe I used Rustoleum
which is much slower drying?
Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
Frank