Default Roller Marks in new asphalt driveway

Folks,

A couple of weeks ago, I had my asphalt driveway replaced. The driveway is
about 40 ft long by 16 ft wide.

After the crew left, we noticed that there were roller marks in the
driveway. They were not particularly deep (though one is noticeably
uneven), but the fact that they are even there left us feeling like the job
was poorly done. Across the 16-ft driveway, there are three noticeable, and
uneven, roller marks.

The paving company said that though it is an "eyesore" (their words), it was
structurally sound, so they would not do anything about it.

I am aghast at their attitude, but wanted to know from anyone here who knows
how indignant I should be about this. This was not an inexpensive job, and
I did not take the low bidder. I really expected better. Should I have?

The sole remedy he offered was to send a larger roller to try to smooth it
out. Apparently the larger roller guy came along and told the company that
it wouldn't work.

Can anyone offer a solution to this, short of tearing it out and starting
over?

Thanks

Amun

"H" wrote in message
[...]

Short of adding another thin layer over top that may not stick already or
raise it too high
Not much to solve your "line" problem.

Had you caught it within a day or two the asphalt may have still been soft
enough to roll again.

If the company won't do anything. e.g, give you a bit off the price.
Don't forget to point out the quality of their work to all your neighbors.
Some may be considering replacing their drives too, and better they know who
NOT to hire.

I wouldn't rip up the driveway over it though.

AMUN

if they were any good they would resurface it at no expense to you - if
they were smart they would have used the large roller in the first place

Richard J Kinch

H writes:

I am aghast at their attitude, but wanted to know from anyone here who
knows how indignant I should be about this. This was not an
inexpensive job, and I did not take the low bidder. I really expected
better. Should I have?

It is the nature of asphalt paving that it must be rolled properly while
the mix is hot. This time is a matter of minutes, not hours.

I have seen workers using a big propane torch to reheat the top after it
has started to cool, and then try to beat down ridges by hand with a
tamper. Even this doesn't work very well.

Regardless of the ridges, I would be more worried that it isn't rolled
enough to be properly compacted. In that case the density is low, the
porosity high, and the lifetime greatly reduced.

You *only* option is to refuse to pay and demand the job be done over.
If you didn't have written specifications in the contract regarding
flatness (this would be something like how much of a gap is permitted
under a straightedge of some length), then you're stuck. If you paid
already, then you have to hire a lawyer and start sending nastygrams.
Contractors do not listen to whining customers, only to lawyers.

The contractor is a well-experienced expert at winning disputes. You
are an amateur.

If you think it isn't worth hiring a lawyer, then forget about it and
get on with your life. Mere complaining won't work. The threat of
legal force is the only effective negotiating tool in these situations.

I expect you signed a paving contract with *no* specifications for the
results, other than basic dimensions and some meaningless blather about
"workmanlike" blah blah blah. You ignorantly accepted a contract with
no specification for temperature of application, compaction, rolling,
surface quality, flatness, birdbaths, etc. You got what you contracted
for. The contractor's forms are written for the benefit of the
contractor, and are carefully designed to forestall a dispute over
quality after-the-fact. You're a sucker if you accept them as-is. In
effect, you agreed to accept the best efforts of the contractor, however
bad they turned out in the end.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to H, Sandy wrote:
noemail wrote:

[...]

Hi, i just had the same experience with a brand new double asphlat
driveway put in last Friday. So I noticed your post from a few years back
and I was just wondering if you can tell me how the driveway held up?
Mine was done on a cold day not of my choice. Was yours done on a cold
day if you can remember that long ago? Just curious if the temp had
anything to do with roller marks. Thanks,Sandy

Senior Member

I would post a large sign on your lawn saying:

"This paving was poorly done by (Insert Company Name Here)."

Someone from the company will see it and try to steal it during the night.

Let your dog out at night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2014 10:44 PM, Sandy wrote:
replying to H, Sandy wrote:
noemail wrote:

[...]

If you are paying for the work then you choose when its done or go find
someone else to do the job.

I wouldn't even get a concrete drive done in cold weather let alone
black top.

John

Sinkhole in driveway... spudcrazy Home Repair 4 February 9th 05 12:36 AM
new asphalt driveway - in January???? Dom Home Ownership 6 January 14th 05 10:51 PM
how to remove asphalt driveway Nancy Drew Home Repair 10 September 29th 04 02:59 AM
Asphalt Driveway PHroGman Home Repair 2 March 22nd 04 07:00 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM