Joe B.

Default Cieling fan question

I am replacing a cieling fan and I found that the electrical outlet box is
cracked and one of the screw holes is bored out too much. I'm thinking that
I can fix this by removing the outlet box and screwing a new one in to the
same base that it is screwed into now. Is there anything else I'll need to
do to make the new outlet box safe and useable? Thanks.

Joe

RBM

In the US ceiling fans are required to be supported by boxes listed for that
purpose. Since your box is cracked I'm assuming it is not a fan support box.
What I'd recommend is buying a retrofit fan box. These can be installed and
expanded inside the existing four inch hole you have now. The biggest
problem will be trying to remove the bracket of your existing box. These
boxes are available at electrical supplies and I believe HD sell one made by
Westinghouse
"Joe B." wrote in message
I am replacing a cieling fan and I found that the electrical outlet box is
cracked and one of the screw holes is bored out too much. I'm thinking
that I can fix this by removing the outlet box and screwing a new one in to
the same base that it is screwed into now. Is there anything else I'll
need to do to make the new outlet box safe and useable? Thanks.

Joe

Joe B.

Thanks, I'll take a look and see if I can find one.

Joe

"Joe B." wrote in message
I am replacing a cieling fan and I found that the electrical outlet box is
cracked and one of the screw holes is bored out too much. I'm thinking
that I can fix this by removing the outlet box and screwing a new one in
to the same base that it is screwed into now. Is there anything else I'll
need to do to make the new outlet box safe and useable? Thanks.

Joe

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM