Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

chris_290

Default Steam Heat - 1 pipe system - worth turning one radiator off?

I have an ~ 80 year old house, with a 1 pipe steam heating system.
This is our 2nd winter in it.

There is one room that we do not use much upstairs (4 rooms upstairs, ~
1,100 sqft total. Is it worth turning off this radiator, or would the
savings be negligible?

Looking at it briefly it seems as if it obviously would save $, but in
reality the boiler runs for ~ 15 minutes before it starts feeding steam
through the house, and then say another 10 minutes while steam is
delivered. By closing off one of the 10 radiators in the house, I
don't think the boiler runs that much less (I haven't tried timing it).

This is a room we keep open, becuase we want it 60 F, so it is not as
if we are shutting it off from the rest of the house, in which case a
savings would be obvious.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Repair 93 September 7th 04 10:39 AM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
Replace of Heat Pump or Get new system? OKE Home Ownership 1 May 15th 04 07:16 PM
Heat pump thermostat question Michael Baugh Home Repair 6 January 26th 04 07:50 AM