Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Art Stewart

Default Old Double Hung Windows w/Insulated Glass

Planning on removing original glass and altering some old good quality
double hung window sashes to accommodate 1/2 or 5/8 thick double pane
insulated glass. Sashes are quite thick for the routing process so that
will work fine. Question is what are the option for sealing the outside of
the glass other than glazing compound? I know there are guys that do this
alteration as a business out of their trucks with a shop inside but none in
my area. How do they seal the glass?
Thanks. Art

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Art Stewart wrote:

Planning on removing original glass and altering some old good quality
double hung window sashes to accommodate 1/2 or 5/8 thick double pane
insulated glass. Sashes are quite thick for the routing process so that
will work fine. Question is what are the option for sealing the outside of
the glass other than glazing compound? I know there are guys that do this
alteration as a business out of their trucks with a shop inside but none in
my area. How do they seal the glass?

This is not answering your question directly, but you don't have to use
double-pane glass. There is a type of glass (I forgot the name right now)
constructed by inserting a sheet of lexan between two pieces of glass,
rather than an air gap. It's supposedly great for noise reduction and
insulates well, too. It's also not 1/2" thick. It's often used in these
scenarios. Talk to a glass shop and they will also answer the question
you posted.

Dimitri

This is not answering your question directly, but you don't have to use
double-pane glass. There is a type of glass (I forgot the name right now)
constructed by inserting a sheet of lexan between two pieces of glass,

"Laminated glass". I doubt that it's lexan, although it's probably
some sort of UV and/or IR blocking polycarbonate.