Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

LD

Default Travertine tile for floor?

Greetings;
We would like to put travertine tiles on our bathroom floor, and we
have the following questions:

- How strong is it? (It is, after all, full of holes....)
- Should we fill the holes? With what?
- How slippery is it?
- Are there different qualities (grades) of travertine? How to
judge?
- Would travertine be a good candidate for electric radiant heating?
- Any other particulars that we should be aware of?

TIA

LD
Roger

- How strong is it? (It is, after all, full of holes....)
- Should we fill the holes? With what?
- How slippery is it?
- Are there different qualities (grades) of travertine? How to
judge?
- Would travertine be a good candidate for electric radiant heating?
- Any other particulars that we should be aware of?

Not very strong, has to be laid by an expert for full support, to prevent
cracking. Porous, attracts mould, soft, scratches easily. Basically a
calcite/gypsum hot spring or cave deposit. I would suggest another material
for areas that get wet. Travertine can be a beautiful floor, but would
rather see it in hallways or away from heavy traffic and moisture.
Have you considered cork? Not a good conductor, for radiant heating, but
very good for the warm springy feel under bare feet.
If you go with stone or tile, marble is a bit more durable than travertine,
and things like granite and gneiss are super hard and waterproof.

Richard J Kinch

LD writes:

- How strong is it? (It is, after all, full of holes....)

Very soft.

- How slippery is it?

Look at the CF spec. No CF spec? Cheap junk.

- Are there different qualities (grades) of travertine?

There are many variations of this soft, low-grade natural stone.

Think of it as a poorly finished concrete.
LD

"Roger" wrote in message news:PmcUb.175959$5V2.876709@attbi_s53...

Have you considered cork? Not a good conductor, for radiant heating, but
very good for the warm springy feel under bare feet.

Cork, mmh? That's worth considering....

How would cork compare to ceramic tile, in terms of durability?
Maintainance? Would our pet (a husky) damage it? Would a cork floor
require an underlayment ? If so, what type? Since cork is a natural
insulator, should we forget about radiant heating and revert back to
forced air (which is what we currently have)?

TIA

LD

D. Gerasimatos

My coworker has travertine on the floor in her kitchen and living room. It
looks nice and seems durable enough. If you like it, install it. If you
don't like it, then don't. Flooring is a legitimate use of travertine.

Dimitri

Karin Petz

Hallo everybody,

Roger schrieb:
[...]

We choose tiles in "cream" for our house, "Feinsteinzeug" from Cotto
DŽEste (www.cottodeste.it). The tiles are calibrated, which means they
are cut again after burning for exact fitting. You can place them with
almost no space between the rows, so it looks similar to real stonefloors.
We are very happy with that decision.

Excuse pidging-english

Karin

Philip

LD,

Do yourself a favor and post this at the forum at
"www.johnbridge.com". It is a great site where tile experts and DYIers
share information. I guarantee they will answer all your questions
(even the dunb ones, I know from experience) about tile and radient
heat.

Philip