Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Engineered Hardwood and Water Spills

Old October 15th 08, 05:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

Default Engineered Hardwood and Water Spills

Does anyone have any info or comments about how resistant engineered
hardwood is to water spills? I know it's very resistant to chaning
shape due to moisture (ie: humidity), however, I'm talking about
spilling a cup of water and not being able to clean it up for a few
hours (as an example). Will it swell up like laminate floors do and
never return to it's original shape? Or will it behave like real
hardwood and basically do nothing? Btw, my example assumes the water
landed somewhere where it can get in between the pieces of wood and
down to the bottom section of the engineered wood.

If you have info or personal experiences I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Harry
Old October 15th 08, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

Harry Muscle wrote:
Does anyone have any info or comments about how resistant engineered
hardwood is to water spills? I know it's very resistant to chaning
shape due to moisture (ie: humidity), however, I'm talking about
spilling a cup of water and not being able to clean it up for a few
hours (as an example). Will it swell up like laminate floors do and
never return to it's original shape? Or will it behave like real
hardwood and basically do nothing? Btw, my example assumes the water
landed somewhere where it can get in between the pieces of wood and
down to the bottom section of the engineered wood.

If you have info or personal experiences I'd love to hear them.

I took a sliver of cheap laminate and immersed it in a glass of water for a
month. Measured it with a micrometer. No change compared to the original.

You might try the same experiment with some left-over scraps...

Old October 15th 08, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

On Oct 15, 11:17*am, Harry Muscle wrote:
Does anyone have any info or comments about how resistant engineered
hardwood is to water spills? *I know it's very resistant to chaning
shape due to moisture (ie: humidity), however, I'm talking about
spilling a cup of water and not being able to clean it up for a few
hours (as an example). *Will it swell up like laminate floors do and
never return to it's original shape? *Or will it behave like real
hardwood and basically do nothing? *Btw, my example assumes the water
landed somewhere where it can get in between the pieces of wood and
down to the bottom section of the engineered wood.

If you have info or personal experiences I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Harry

From my experience laminates with a pressed board substrate will swell
if you dont get the liquid up within an hour or so, It absorbes down
at the seems. Laminates with a plywood substrate maybe work better,
but I have some pressed board stuff in a utility room and it swelled
when I had a water heater start trickling. When it dried it went back
to normal.

Old October 15th 08, 06:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

On Oct 15, 12:17�pm, Harry Muscle wrote:
Does anyone have any info or comments about how resistant engineered
hardwood is to water spills? �I know it's very resistant to chaning
shape due to moisture (ie: humidity), however, I'm talking about
spilling a cup of water and not being able to clean it up for a few
hours (as an example). �Will it swell up like laminate floors do and
never return to it's original shape? �Or will it behave like real
hardwood and basically do nothing? �Btw, my example assumes the water
landed somewhere where it can get in between the pieces of wood and
down to the bottom section of the engineered wood.

If you have info or personal experiences I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Harry

I believe just one company approves its laminate for water resistance
between boards. frankly I dont like the sound of laminate we decided
to refinish our existing near 60 year old floors, probabhly next
summer.

where we live during refinishing is issue my wife has asthma and we
have dogs
Old October 15th 08, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
N8N

On Oct 15, 12:17*pm, Harry Muscle wrote:
Does anyone have any info or comments about how resistant engineered
hardwood is to water spills? *I know it's very resistant to chaning
shape due to moisture (ie: humidity), however, I'm talking about
spilling a cup of water and not being able to clean it up for a few
hours (as an example). *Will it swell up like laminate floors do and
never return to it's original shape? *Or will it behave like real
hardwood and basically do nothing? *Btw, my example assumes the water
landed somewhere where it can get in between the pieces of wood and
down to the bottom section of the engineered wood.

If you have info or personal experiences I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Harry

Maybe 10 years ago a friend of mine had a deal with his landlady; he
was paying little or no rent with the understanding that her list of
improvements that she wanted would be done to the place by the time he
moved out. One of those items was a new kitchen floor. They decided
on Pergo, and not long after he got the floor laid the dishwasher
started spewing on the floor. It buckled badly and had to be redone.

nate
Old October 15th 08, 08:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

On Oct 15, 10:26*am, N8N wrote:
[...]

pergo... one of the best...and it buckled when flooded... good to
know, I figured as much,
even minor spills over time should do some damage it seems. Even
solid wood flooring has limits.

Perhaps pans with drains through the floor should be fit under things
like dish washers, water heaters and kitchen sinks.. especially on an
ultra high end home.

Old October 15th 08, 09:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

On Oct 15, 3:29*pm, phil scott wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:26*am, N8N wrote:

[...]

ultra high end home.- Hide quoted text -

So far everyone seems to be talking about laminate flooring. Is
everyone considering engineered hardwood flooring to be in the same
boat as laminate? I know laminate flooring will get totally messed up
with spilled water (due to it's HDF core), but I'm specifically
wondering about engineered hardwood flooring (plywood core with real
hardwood veneer on top). If anyone has any input about that please
let me know.

Thanks,
Harry
Old October 15th 08, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
dpb

Harry Muscle wrote:
So far everyone seems to be talking about laminate flooring. Is
everyone considering engineered hardwood flooring to be in the same
boat as laminate? I know laminate flooring will get totally messed up
with spilled water (due to it's HDF core), but I'm specifically
wondering about engineered hardwood flooring (plywood core with real
hardwood veneer on top). If anyone has any input about that please
let me know.

Depends...not all "engineered flooring" is "engineered" the same.

I don't have specific firsthand data, but I'd think it somewhere between
the two extremes for the most part. Ply, even exterior, if soaked will
expand and may have some glueline failures. It's not generally as
significant as the MDF's, etc., but I'd not consider it likely to not
have some problems if the problem occurred often.

Of course, "real" hw if it were allowed to actually soak up standing
water will expand and can buckle as well.

The fundamental answer is that none of them are intended for water other
than casual water on the top, finished surfaces.

Old October 16th 08, 02:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
Does anyone have any info or comments about how resistant engineered
hardwood is to water spills? I know it's very resistant to chaning
shape due to moisture (ie: humidity), however, I'm talking about
spilling a cup of water and not being able to clean it up for a few
hours (as an example). Will it swell up like laminate floors do and
never return to it's original shape? Or will it behave like real
hardwood and basically do nothing? Btw, my example assumes the water
landed somewhere where it can get in between the pieces of wood and
down to the bottom section of the engineered wood.

If you have info or personal experiences I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Harry

I have Mannington engineered woo on my lower level. A joint in the baseboard
leaked and water got under it, a hallway section about 24' x 36". Dried up
like nothing ever happened. I was pleasantly surprised.

Old October 16th 08, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:22:20 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled "Ed Pawlowski" , to say:

I have Mannington engineered woo on my lower level.

I'm sorry, I just had to see that out of context.
--

"The ABS system can not overcome the laws of physics."

Audi Owner's Manual