Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
dpb dpb is offline

Default Engineered Hardwood and Water Spills

Harry Muscle wrote:
So far everyone seems to be talking about laminate flooring. Is
everyone considering engineered hardwood flooring to be in the same
boat as laminate? I know laminate flooring will get totally messed up
with spilled water (due to it's HDF core), but I'm specifically
wondering about engineered hardwood flooring (plywood core with real
hardwood veneer on top). If anyone has any input about that please
let me know.

Depends...not all "engineered flooring" is "engineered" the same.

I don't have specific firsthand data, but I'd think it somewhere between
the two extremes for the most part. Ply, even exterior, if soaked will
expand and may have some glueline failures. It's not generally as
significant as the MDF's, etc., but I'd not consider it likely to not
have some problems if the problem occurred often.

Of course, "real" hw if it were allowed to actually soak up standing
water will expand and can buckle as well.

The fundamental answer is that none of them are intended for water other
than casual water on the top, finished surfaces.