Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it?

Old August 23rd 06, 07:37 PM posted to misc.consumers.house
LJ

Default Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it?

I just had my driveway torn up and repaved.

The company used a base of crushed concrete, or something similar,

which settled for about a month before the asphalt was done.

They said it was best to wait at least 2 weeks before I use the
driveway,

but 3 - 4 weeks would be better.

Does this sound right?

Thanks for any help.

LJ

Old August 23rd 06, 07:50 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

It depends on what product was used, what the weather is like where you
are and how heavy a vehicle you are parking on it.

Unless you have no where else to park, I'd go with their recommendation of
3 to 4 weeks or longer.

Old August 23rd 06, 10:14 PM posted to misc.consumers.house

"Natalie Munro" wrote in message
It depends on what product was used, what the weather is like where you
are and how heavy a vehicle you are parking on it.

Unless you have no where else to park, I'd go with their recommendation of
3 to 4 weeks or longer.

I'd probably go with what they reccomended. On the other hand, I would have
asked them why it is necessary to wait anyway? When a road is paved, you
can drive on it very soon thereafter (I think when our road was paved, we
were able to drive on it later that evening).

Old August 24th 06, 12:54 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

In article om,
"LJ" wrote:

I just had my driveway torn up and repaved.
The company used a base of crushed concrete, or something similar,
which settled for about a month before the asphalt was done.
They said it was best to wait at least 2 weeks before I use the
driveway,
but 3 - 4 weeks would be better.
Does this sound right?

No, not at all. It should be fine the next day. Asphalt
only moves when it is hot. Once it cools down to air temperature,
it is ready to go. You may want to spray water on it once or
twice the first day you have it to help it cool down.

Beyond that, blacktop driveways have a low weight carrying
capacity. Keep heavy vehicles off of it, such as trucks, semi's,
and construction equipment.

Also, do not turn your steering wheel when you are parked.
Make sure that your car is moving when you turn the steering
wheel. If you turn the steering wheel when parked, you will
dig two holes in the surface of the driveway.

Finally, keep any kind of oil and gasoline off of the blacktop.
Like materials are solvents, so any petroleum product will
dissolve the asphalt leaving soft spots and holes. After 2
years, you can put on a sealer, and that will really help
protect against oil drops. In the mean time, keep the beater
cars off of your driveway.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old August 24th 06, 12:57 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

"LJ" wrote:

I just had my driveway torn up and repaved.
The company used a base of crushed concrete, or something similar,
which settled for about a month before the asphalt was done.
They said it was best to wait at least 2 weeks before I use the
driveway,
but 3 - 4 weeks would be better.
Does this sound right?

What would have been better is to have let the base settle for a bit before
paving, but if the base was rolled properly, it shouldn't matter. Once the
ashphalt has cooled, you can drive on it.
Old August 24th 06, 01:26 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

No, not at all. It should be fine the next day.

I agree - unless the company uses a "chip and seal" process instead of real
ashphalt. The city uses that around here- they mix hot oil/tar and gravel and
spread it over the existing road. The oil/tar they use is somewhere in between
oil and true ashphalt and it is significantly softer than ashphalt. Takes
several weeks before normal traffic stops leaving tracks.
Old August 24th 06, 02:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.house
LDC

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:57:46 -0600, Rick Blaine wrote:

They said it was best to wait at least 2 weeks before I use the
driveway,
but 3 - 4 weeks would be better.
Does this sound right?

What would have been better is to have let the base settle for a bit before
paving, but if the base was rolled properly, it shouldn't matter. Once the
ashphalt has cooled, you can drive on it.

You must have missed this in the OP

Old August 24th 06, 04:47 AM posted to misc.consumers.house
LJ

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a party coming up and the driveway would really come in handy,
however, I'm going to wait the full 2 weeks just in case.

Thanks for all the input.

LJ

Old August 25th 06, 03:08 AM posted to misc.consumers.house

Beware of the party - folks will not know how to drive nicely on new
pavement and will wear dips into it from turning their steering wheels with
out moving - likely repeatedly as they try to get their packed in cars
maneuvered. Also some will drip oil and you will find all this the next day
and cringe. At least there is a quite good chance of this. Make them all
park in the road and walk up the nice new driveway to show it off.
Tomes

ps.com...

Old September 3rd 06, 10:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.house
LJ

Well, I waited about a week and a half and then parked the cars in the
driveway.

Now I have tire indentations in the driveway that are about an 1/8 -
1/4 inch deep.

I'm not letting any of the cars sit for more than a few days in the
same spot until about a month has gone by, just in case.

LJ

Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 01:02 PM
help, concrete driveway rising up lucy Home Repair 6 November 16th 03 12:32 PM