Posted to misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III John A. Weeks III is offline

Default Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it?

In article om,
"LJ" wrote:

I just had my driveway torn up and repaved.
The company used a base of crushed concrete, or something similar,
which settled for about a month before the asphalt was done.
They said it was best to wait at least 2 weeks before I use the
driveway,
but 3 - 4 weeks would be better.
Does this sound right?

No, not at all. It should be fine the next day. Asphalt
only moves when it is hot. Once it cools down to air temperature,
it is ready to go. You may want to spray water on it once or
twice the first day you have it to help it cool down.

Beyond that, blacktop driveways have a low weight carrying
capacity. Keep heavy vehicles off of it, such as trucks, semi's,
and construction equipment.

Also, do not turn your steering wheel when you are parked.
Make sure that your car is moving when you turn the steering
wheel. If you turn the steering wheel when parked, you will
dig two holes in the surface of the driveway.

Finally, keep any kind of oil and gasoline off of the blacktop.
Like materials are solvents, so any petroleum product will
dissolve the asphalt leaving soft spots and holes. After 2
years, you can put on a sealer, and that will really help
protect against oil drops. In the mean time, keep the beater
cars off of your driveway.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications