DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/173560-newly-paved-driveway-how-long-before-i-can-park.html)

LJ August 23rd 06 07:37 PM

Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it?

I just had my driveway torn up and repaved.

The company used a base of crushed concrete, or something similar,

which settled for about a month before the asphalt was done.

They said it was best to wait at least 2 weeks before I use the
driveway,

but 3 - 4 weeks would be better.

Does this sound right?

Thanks for any help.

LJ

Natalie Munro August 23rd 06 07:50 PM

Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it?

It depends on what product was used, what the weather is like where you
are and how heavy a vehicle you are parking on it.

Unless you have no where else to park, I'd go with their recommendation of
3 to 4 weeks or longer.

Tracey August 23rd 06 10:14 PM

"Natalie Munro" wrote in message
It depends on what product was used, what the weather is like where you
are and how heavy a vehicle you are parking on it.

Unless you have no where else to park, I'd go with their recommendation of
3 to 4 weeks or longer.

I'd probably go with what they reccomended. On the other hand, I would have
asked them why it is necessary to wait anyway? When a road is paved, you
can drive on it very soon thereafter (I think when our road was paved, we
were able to drive on it later that evening).

John A. Weeks III August 24th 06 12:54 AM

Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it?

In article om,
"LJ" wrote:

I just had my driveway torn up and repaved.
The company used a base of crushed concrete, or something similar,
which settled for about a month before the asphalt was done.
They said it was best to wait at least 2 weeks before I use the
driveway,
but 3 - 4 weeks would be better.
Does this sound right?

No, not at all. It should be fine the next day. Asphalt
only moves when it is hot. Once it cools down to air temperature,
it is ready to go. You may want to spray water on it once or
twice the first day you have it to help it cool down.

Beyond that, blacktop driveways have a low weight carrying
capacity. Keep heavy vehicles off of it, such as trucks, semi's,
and construction equipment.

Also, do not turn your steering wheel when you are parked.
Make sure that your car is moving when you turn the steering
wheel. If you turn the steering wheel when parked, you will
dig two holes in the surface of the driveway.

Finally, keep any kind of oil and gasoline off of the blacktop.
Like materials are solvents, so any petroleum product will
dissolve the asphalt leaving soft spots and holes. After 2
years, you can put on a sealer, and that will really help
protect against oil drops. In the mean time, keep the beater
cars off of your driveway.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Rick Blaine August 24th 06 12:57 AM

"LJ" wrote:

I just had my driveway torn up and repaved.
The company used a base of crushed concrete, or something similar,
which settled for about a month before the asphalt was done.
They said it was best to wait at least 2 weeks before I use the
driveway,
but 3 - 4 weeks would be better.
Does this sound right?

What would have been better is to have let the base settle for a bit before
paving, but if the base was rolled properly, it shouldn't matter. Once the
ashphalt has cooled, you can drive on it.

Rick Blaine August 24th 06 01:26 AM

"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

No, not at all. It should be fine the next day.

I agree - unless the company uses a "chip and seal" process instead of real
ashphalt. The city uses that around here- they mix hot oil/tar and gravel and
spread it over the existing road. The oil/tar they use is somewhere in between
oil and true ashphalt and it is significantly softer than ashphalt. Takes
several weeks before normal traffic stops leaving tracks.

LDC August 24th 06 02:43 AM

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:57:46 -0600, Rick Blaine wrote:

They said it was best to wait at least 2 weeks before I use the
driveway,
but 3 - 4 weeks would be better.
Does this sound right?

What would have been better is to have let the base settle for a bit before
paving, but if the base was rolled properly, it shouldn't matter. Once the
ashphalt has cooled, you can drive on it.

You must have missed this in the OP

LJ August 24th 06 04:47 AM

Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it?

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a party coming up and the driveway would really come in handy,
however, I'm going to wait the full 2 weeks just in case.

Thanks for all the input.

LJ

Tomes August 25th 06 03:08 AM

Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it?

Beware of the party - folks will not know how to drive nicely on new
pavement and will wear dips into it from turning their steering wheels with
out moving - likely repeatedly as they try to get their packed in cars
maneuvered. Also some will drip oil and you will find all this the next day
and cringe. At least there is a quite good chance of this. Make them all
park in the road and walk up the nice new driveway to show it off.
Tomes

ps.com...

LJ September 3rd 06 10:44 PM

Newly paved driveway - How long before I can park on it?

Well, I waited about a week and a half and then parked the cars in the
driveway.

Now I have tire indentations in the driveway that are about an 1/8 -
1/4 inch deep.

I'm not letting any of the cars sit for more than a few days in the
same spot until about a month has gone by, just in case.

LJ