Copal DC Motor

Old April 6th 07, 12:08 PM
Junior Member

Default Copal DC Motor

I have salvaged DC Motor (Copal) from and old floppy disc drive. However I don't have any information on them. It is an LC-177B. I also need a control circuit for it. I am building an inductor winder for guitar pickups.

Regards
Gary
Old April 6th 07, 07:35 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim

In article ,
says...

--
GaryJ

www.scientificsurplus.com sells that motor. Maybe you could email them
for a spec on it.

- Tim -
Old April 7th 07, 08:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

GaryJ wrote:
I have salvaged DC Motor (Copal) from and old floppy disc drive.
However I don't have any information on them. It is an LC-177B. I
also need a control circuit for it. I am building an inductor winder
for guitar pickups.

Regards
Gary

Do you still have the rest of the drive? Apply power and measure which
pins to the motor are +5v and ground. There will probably be two wires
for power and ground, one for enable, which needs to be either +5 or
grounded to turn it on, then another for tach output, and there may be
yet another for selecting the speed since low and high density disks
used different RPM.
Old April 8th 07, 11:00 PM
Junior Member

Thanks Tim for thee URL. Much appreciated.

Regards Garyj
Old April 8th 07, 11:08 PM
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Sweet
GaryJ wrote:
I have salvaged DC Motor (Copal) from and old floppy disc drive.
However I don't have any information on them. It is an LC-177B. I
also need a control circuit for it. I am building an inductor winder
for guitar pickups.

Regards
Gary

Do you still have the rest of the drive? Apply power and measure which
pins to the motor are +5v and ground. There will probably be two wires
for power and ground, one for enable, which needs to be either +5 or
grounded to turn it on, then another for tach output, and there may be
yet another for selecting the speed since low and high density disks
used different RPM.

Thanks James. I believe you may have just solved the problem. That being my lack of knowledge of the workings of the motor. I still have the rest of the drive. I believe I can work out which lead is which from that.

Regards
Gary